Best at Level

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barabool

Reaction score
Hi
As a long time K&K brewer and I have gone into many different areas of brewing - grain, yeast, dextrose, hops...etc.
I am also a frequent user of the Whirlpool forums that speak about I.T related issues.
Within the Whirlpool forums they have a section on home builds called PC Configurations:
It breaks down home builds into sections:

Basic Configurations (Business/Homework/Internet) \
Gaming/Multi-Purpose Configurations (Gaming, multi-tasking and general heavy usage)
Video/Photo Editing Configurations (Video Editing/Photoshop etc.)
Near Silent Configurations (Configs with a heavy emphasis on noise reduction)
Silent Configurations (Fanless configs — the holy grail of silent computing)
Small Form Factor (SFF) (Smaller PCs that can be placed on a desk or in tight spaces)
HTPCs (Home Theatre PCs)
Media/File Server (Low Power/Network Storage)
Extreme Machine (got $$$ to burn? :D)

The sections relate to different levels people want to spend on builds but give the best price per level.
I wonder if we could do the same here - not relating to taste or beer type but commercial price.
E.g what is the best Basic Config in relation to price - best kit (where to buy commercially) best sugar - best hops etc etc....
What is the minimum to get the best Basic Config.
Then whats the next best intermediate - maybe include Hop bags, dextrose, yeast.

What I am trying to achieve is getting info as the best/cheapest basic, intermediate, advanced, enthusiastic, master and then beyond levels.

I like the Whirlpool models as they change daily/weekly depending on what technology has changed.

Putting it out as an example:

Basic Brew:
Bunnings Camp Container (brew Bucket): $16
Coles - Cooper's Ale Kit - $13
Airlock - $3
Grommet: $1
Coles - Sugar 2 kg- $1.80 (for bottling as well)
Coles - Bleach - $1.30
Bottles - recycled - 0$
Caps - $4
Hand capper - $4

$44.10

For people at a beginner level - I believe this is the cheapest price that a normal person who wants to home brew can enter.
I know hops and crystal malt make the beer better but that would pull it into the next level... I hope people get my drift...

This community is better suited to determine and class levels than I can make up ....so.....

Anyway, just an idea.
Matching cost of equipment to the level of beer that can be produced.

Cheers

PS. I still like Brok (anyone have a recipe?)

Latest posts

Back