Two Birds Bantam IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GalBrew

Reaction score
It also has the word 'bantam' on the label. Surely that gives a hint that it's a small version of an IPA or a session IPA if you will.

I thought it was pretty straightforward.

IPA it says on the front label. Just cracked one of these. Tastes of onions and garlic, checked the bottle and it isn't even an IPA at 4.7% Apparently its a Session India Pale Ale according to the blurb on the back label. Also says it should have tropical fruit salad notes, not onions and garlic. Verdict - terrible.

Yeah it annoys me it only says 'IPA' on the front - I have heard it confuse lots of people getting into beer.

I'm not a stickler for style guidelines, but if it's a pale ale, just call it what it is.

Plain Jane LRG

Why do so many breweries like to stuff with style guidelines for purely marketing purposes if it's a good apa it should be able to stand on its own merits.

I'm in the same camp as you, if it's APA, I'm happy to buy it based on that.

But the term IPA is a bit like "street food" - people who want to sell something they see as a fad, fail to have one skerrick of truth in their labeling.

Don't care whether you call it an ipa or an apa, if it truly tastes of garlic and onions I'd call it a crap pa. I cannot imagine the thought processes that occurred to make someone think a beer tasting of garlic and onion was an appropriate beverage to,serve to the wider public, I just assume that at least one of the participants in the tasting panel had a beard.

Onion and garlic aside, is it hopped like an ipa or an apa? Session ipa is fairly common as a 'style' atm

Yes Blind dog I agree, no date stamp on the bottle, but I would have to say it was the result of an infection of some description.

Some hops bring onion/garlic notes to the table. I know some who enjoy that. Personally I can't think of many flavours I'd like less in my beer.
Session thing makes sense though - there are uk ipas that are lower abv than that. The idea of ipa being historically strong is, as I understand it incorrect - more of a modern thing. If we can re-interpret brewing styles to be stronger and hoppier than they were, surely we can interpret them the other way? The abv would be present on the bottle.

I know what you mean about total let down of expectation though - ever tried a tui east india pale?

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Never been that happy with 2 birds beers, very plain.
agreed, was just discussing these ladies last night with some folks.. while I never like to rag on a craft brewery and indeed try to buy some 'local' craft beers quite often.. I pass on what they deliver.

dont get me started on Vale pale ale either... :icon_vomit:

Onion or garlic is usually a result of a volatile sulphur compound will look up the name of compound later rather than infection. I think it msy also come from some hops too. Either way not nice in a beer

Tried this on tap at Forresters last night, Wolfman and I really enjoyed it.

I thought it drank like an IPA, plenty of hop flavour and plenty of body for a beer of that alcohol.

Unlike the Panhead Supercharger Pale Ale I had earlier at The Gertrude, I didn't get any onions or garlic, which I'd imagine would be from a hop like Summit.

Yob said:
agreed, was just discussing these ladies last night with some folks.. while I never like to rag on a craft brewery and indeed try to buy some 'local' craft beers quite often.. I pass on what they deliver.

dont get me started on Vale pale ale either... :icon_vomit:
I think their Golden Ale is a great beer, for what it is. Very approachable, a nice session beer or opener.

I'm not a fan of the Sunset, personally speaking, but I know a lot of people who are.

Their Taco beer is great!

I'm not a fan of their other beers either.

I live 5 min walk from the brewery so grab a growler every now and then. Fresh off thr tap its a lovely beer. Yes its more of a pale then ipa but still a nice beer.

Their bottled stuff comes from either gage roads or southern bay and isnt always the best

Had the Bantam on tap at Beer Deluxe a couple of weeks ago. Really enjoyed it and there was definitely no onions or garlic in the aroma or flavour.
Would happily drink it again.

I had a bottle the other week and off tap when up in Newcastle. No onion/garlic flavour to report. Not the most earth shattering beer, but fine.

I've had this beer at the brewery too and enjoyed it. Isn't the idea that it is hopped like an IPA but more sessionable due to the lower abv?

It sounds like you may have gotten a bad bottle or are more sensitive to the onion/garlic character of some hops. Or maybe what is in the bottles is different to the stuff they have at the brewery.

I generally find the two birds beers to be solid without being exceptional.

Latest posts

Back