Tweak to Dr Smurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colo

Reaction score
Howdy all,

I'm fairly new to all grain brewing, have had a few decent beers and a few not so decent beers as well as a few surprises. I brewed DS's Golden Ale but I think my local HBS may have messed up the grain bill as the beer came out darker and had a slight malty flavour. Second time I made the DS Golden Ale I think the grain bill was on the money and it produced a lovely bright golden ale.

The thing is I actually like that malty flavour in my beer so Im wondering how I can try and introduce some of that goodness into the Golden Ale recipe. Should I simply swap out the pilsner malt for something else or maybe up the amount of Munich 1 reducing the amount of Pilsner malt?

Ive also been mashing in @ 65 degrees, should I also be upping this to 67- 68 degrees?

All advice appreciated.

Cheers

I think Dr Smurto actually uses Vienna over Munich in his latest incarnation. I have put this on recently with Vienna and mine is quite malty could it be something else? upping the Munich will give you more maltiness I would think but don't go too much as it doesn't have great diastatic power. What yeast did you use?

Did you use water from the same source each time?

Yep, Brisbane tap water. No additives to mess with it.

Melanoidin is a nice addition IMO (+/- 5%) With a nice redish tone to the colour too. You can also get malt characters with different mashing techniques. I like to do a decoction or two in my mash technique that brings forward malt character to the end result.

Brisbane tap water contains a sulphate to chloride ratio of about 0.4 on average, which untreated will cause the maltiness to be a little more prominent (recipe dependent of course). I like this in some recipes too, so I don't always treat it, but in hoppy ales I increase the sulphates significantly to bring out the hops better, and it has worked.

In your case, you could leave the water alone and use one of those Munich/Vienna type malts to get that little bit extra maltiness, perhaps swap out the pilsner for Maris Otter or something too.

Back