Tv Signal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshlangmaid

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I've google my issues with no result.

If anyone is a TV know all can you explain this...

TV signal would be ok on digital and anolouge, then drop out.

Then i adjusted the antenna, being in the country i can pick up Devonport or Launceston (or even both on some channels) (TAS). Devonport is closer but i seem to get better results with launceston. Since i adjusted the antenna its been perfect and anologue picked up several copys of same channel and each one worked... Now I'm going to look at the antenna on the weekend but i doubt it has moved back to where it was. But around this time (7PM) for the last 3 nights. Hence in Tassie its gotten really cold from the last 3 nights. But 7pm every night anolouge signal fades out to nothing. Digital seems to work best but once that is out, it does not return. southern cross seems to be the worst.

Does the cold affect transmission or the wild weather over the weekend may have moved / damages the amp/antenna.

Thanks.

Keep brewing :)

Doesn't sound like damage if it fades out at 7pm everyday. If it was the weather/temperature you'd have noticed it before too, surely? Weird.

New interference, perhaps?

Its possible bum. The antenna always points into a power line, but it seems to be well above the antenna.

i've got SC running fuzzyish and i unplugged the power to the amplifier up top and it made no difference to the picture... shouldnt it have went worse?

Silly question..... but how old is the anntenna on your roof ?
The new didgtsl antenna's will pick up just about anything !

THINK mobile phone reception....
If your phone has reception you're TV will be able to recieve a digital signal..... :D

Sorry... forgot to mention that a mate on "Launie" managed to pick up SBS in Sydney after upgrading his aerial to a Digital one.... :)

Hey Jason. Its older but digital certified one. I'm going to fiddle with it on the weekend and see if i can swing it around to burnie and see what happens.

Cheers :)

There really is NO such thing as a digital aerial...

The digital TV transmits on a different frequency to analog TV, which means that that you need an aerial that is tuned to that frequency..

The reason you you pick up a station that is further away could be due to a number of things. The power output of the furthest Transmitter is probably a lot higher than your closer ones, as well as the radiation pattern may be different. They often put lower powered transmitter to cover specific dead spots

As vor signal fade, MMmm...tricky...weather can affect signal stregth, but is generally more to do with rain/fog/clouds.

If you have turned off the power to your aerial amplifier and notice there is no difference in picture quality, then your amp is stuffed

And mobile phone reception has absolutly nothing to do with TV reception. None , zip, zero

If it's becoming a real worry, join DTV forum (it's identical format to this one being Invision) and there's a reception section State-by-State where you can do a search or make a post and just as on AHB I'm sure there will be heaps of forumites leap to your assistance.

This page may assist:
http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=12471

Thanks everyone for your replies... Big help. I'll let you all know the outcome over the weekend.

Cheers guys.

Any one got any idea how much a new antenna and re running the cabling (one point) is likely to cost me ?
Im in frankston Victoria.
Hopefully not more than $500

Hey again.

I went up on the roof today and turned the antenna 180 degrees to burnie, rather than launceston, with no luck on anolouge digital still worked excellently.

Does a antenna work backwards? It must do, i didnt re-tune and some of the channels pre-tuned worked even when the name has launceston in it. Unless all channels work on the same freq.? This would confuse Burnie residents.

I've set the antenna to where it was, and everything is ok for now. But when i said before that the unplugging of the power booster to the amplifier wasn't making a difference, it was... A lot.

But, as Homer suggested with the Db gain on the amplifier, it was on max, so i set it to about half way. So we'll see how that goes. Would that make a differnce, being the signal would fade out around the same time everynight? Power lines, phones?

Thanks everyone.

Yes, your aerial can work backwards, but not as good as if was pointed in the corect direction...BUT only if you have good signal strength

If you are getting good signal strength then the aerial will pick up the station. most TV aerials are broadband by design to take into account the different frequency's use by different Tv stations

The channel naming on dig TV is a bit loose as they name in a general area/station, not by specific transmitter location

Back