Tube For Racking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phinnsfotos

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was about to put an order in with CraftBrewer and thought, I really should just get a tube for racking from them as well. Could someone recommend which of the tubes from http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/default.asp?CID=41 would be best for racking after initial fermentation from a Coopers fermenter. I'd assume it's the Silicone Hose - Light Duty (ID12.7mm) but I just wanted to make sure.

I'd measure the tap myself but I'm away on business, and wanted to have this waiting for me when I get home.

Cheers,
Finn.

You don't need a silicone hose just to transfer wort from a fermenter. Just go to Bunnings, grab a tap off the shelf and get some plastic tubing from them. From memory its the 12mm tube and its in a length thats good for transfering for about $7. I use the same thing to transfer from fermenter to keg and secondary etc etc.

I use 12mm ID braided hose from bunnys I think the 12.7 ID might be a bit loose and silicon hose a bit stiff

While you may not need silicon for cold transfer it's good to have something that can double up. I have braided silicon hose for my transfers, both hot and cold. Looks like the price for the one from CB is not that different to the suggested one from bunnings anyway.

As for the diameter, the CB website suggests 9.5 mm is appropriate for standard fermenter taps. If in doubt, order a couple of new taps that will fit the hose - they never stop being useful.

Manticle just measured my taps all 12.5mm OD 10mm ID , be a bit of a stretch to get 9.5 ID over 12.5 OD

I use a length on vinyl tube i've had for about 8 years, i used to use it for cleaning my fish tank :)

Think I'll just wait until I get home and measure my tap and wander up to bunnings. I just ordered the StarSan by it's self. I feel cleaner already :) Thanks for the help though.

Manticle just measured my taps all 12.5mm OD 10mm ID , be a bit of a stretch to get 9.5 ID over 12.5 OD

I was just going on what was written on the site. It suggests 9.5 for standard fermenter and 12.7 for crown urn.

Obviously the only way to be sure is to measure your own.

I've sourced my 3 taps from different places over time and Craftbrewer's thin walled silicon tube (12.7mm ID) fits over the outside of all the tap spouts. With this method I would recommend hoseclamps (Bunnings have ones with bright plastic finger tightening knobs which are handy). I previously used smaller diameter vinyl hose but it required a short piece of bottling tube as an adapter. 12.7mm ID vinyl tube should be available at bunnings but I know you can get it at clark rubber.

Edit: I found vinyl hose isn't as stretchy as I expected, so get the right size for the job. Silicon stretches a bit more.

Alfie

Grab youself a new tap from bunnies whilst you're there for $2 and try the hose on it whilst you are there?

Head down to an automotive shop and get a fuel syphoner. You know, the big tubes with a little jiggly thing on the end? Guaranteed best syphoning you'll have ever done, very quick and very easy. Not to mention no more sucking on the damn tube...

Cheers - boingk

PS: Make sure its clean before you use it, I'd run some sanitiser through it a few times. Suppose that goes for any tubing though.

Grab youself a new tap from bunnies whilst you're there for $2 and try the hose on it whilst you are there?

I got my tube from bunnings long ago, but back then I never took notice what they are made of. Mine is quite clear and shiny. It goes a bit opaque when washed with hot water but some time after it gets clear again.

So what the bunnings ones made of?

I got my tube from bunnings long ago, but back then I never took notice what they are made of. Mine is quite clear and shiny. It goes a bit opaque when washed with hot water but some time after it gets clear again.

So what the bunnings ones made of?

sounds like vinyl to me.

It is very easy to stretch smaller tube (e.g. 10mm) over the taps. Just heat up the end and slide over. Gives a nice snug fit and won't pull off as easily.

I personally hate how they curl up too much and then go really stiff when cold. I'd like one that just stays straight personally. Oh well.

Latest posts

Back