Tube For Hydrometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's better to leave the hydro out... you might stab yourself in the eye with it.

mobrien said:
$75 refractometer..... comes in a case.
So who else needs a refractometer?! Should get a few from the states all at once?

Matt

yeah, id be interested in one of these refractometer thingies. better than poking my one remaining eye out, arrrrgh

a wheat beer a day keeps away scurvy. especially with a slice o lemon. arrrgh!

I'll let everyone know prices if and when I hear back from the ebay guy!

Matt

I got one off ebay yesterday I will let you know how it goes when it arrives...

hmm - still haven't heard back from the guy. Think I might just buy one from ebay and see how I go.

Matt

Refractometers are great. I always use my hydrometer to measure my OG before pitching yeast though

yeah - would still use both, just I think I need a refract for the sparge

M

Yep, refracto for the first runnings and the sparge is essential

This topic quickly went from "Tube for hydrometer" to a discussion about refractometers, but I'd like to try to return briefly to the original topic...

Does anyone know where in Adelaide I can pick up a tube for the hydrometer?
Preference would be a 100ml glass capable of taking boiling wort.
I've done a quick phone around, but if anyone can suggest a retail outlet, preferably close to the city it would be much appreciated. Brew day is Friday!!

TIA.

I ended up getting one from grain and grape, ($12 I recall), but the same 100mL measuring cylinder can be had from a lab supply place for around half that. Copes really well with boiling wort!

Matt

P.S. And I bought a refractometer :D

Polycarbonate mate. That's what your after, forget the glass. Clear, indestructible (you can drop it and it will bounce-hell you could probably even stand on it), will easily withstand hot wort temps without warping and melting and actually quite cheap. You could get an inch diameter tube 20cm long for not very much (it's be under $10 I would think).

If your standard tube cap wont fit just glue a flat sheet of something on the bottom or plug it with a inch diameter silicone/rubber bung.

Cheers, Justin

Oh yeah, any good plastics place should ahve polycarbonate tube. you should be able to find a place that stocks it straight out of the yellow pages, it is often listed in the add.

Latest posts

Back