Ttll Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3G

Reaction score
How are everyones landlord clone? Would anyone care to post their latest recipes, currently have 1469 on stirplate.
cheers

I have nothing useful to add, except that I would love to hear responses to this!

This one is in primary. Down to 1.017 already after only 5 days. Who said 1968 is a slow bugger? Tasting bloody good at this early stage.

Adding the carafa purely to bump the colour up from previous attempts. Wanted to try out 1968 this time, my last 2 batches used 1469.

The munich came about after chats on the old Grumpys forum with wessmith re floor malted MO. The extra malt flavour from the munich addition makes a big difference IMO.

Cheers
DrSmurto

Don't have a recipe, but have heard that they use Golden Promise as a base malt.

Recipe will depend on your efficiency. Use however much malt is required to get to 1.043-1.045. Add 2oz. of chocolate malt to your mash tun when you sparge for color. Also, use Golden Promise if you can. If not, Maris Otter will suffice.

.75 oz. Styrian Goldings 5% AA (I boil for 60 minutes but add at 45)
.75 oz. Fuggles 5% AA (also at 45 min.)
.35 oz. East Kent Goldings 5% AA (last 15 min)
.50 oz. Styrian Goldings at flame out.

Yeast will also play a role. I wouldn't use Safale-04. I think S-33, or White Labs WLP-005 would be better choices. I have brewed this twice and love it.

There is so much info already on ahb regarding this beer and a likely recipe.

The recipe idealy needs floor malted golden promise or another floor malted variety, Bairds GP won't come close.

hence the use of some munich in Smurtos recipe.

Good idea on the munich, my last try, using golden promise, was way off

Anytime you want to drop around for a sample you are more than welcome Gregg. I will be brewing it again (when the re-release of 1469 occurs) for the case swap. Its a few weeks away but a sample last nigt tasted pretty bloody good, lots of malt and that amazing stryian aroma.

There are variables, like water profile and yeast, hops(Styrians) which are going to play big time in the final product. The recipe I gave will get you in the ball park, regardless if you've got floor malted Golden Promise or not. Ideally Wyeast 1469, which and is the Taylor yeast strain.

There are variables, like water profile and yeast, hops(Styrians) which are going to play big time in the final product. The recipe I gave will get you in the ball park, regardless if you've got floor malted Golden Promise or not. Ideally Wyeast 1469, which and is the Taylor yeast strain.

My experience is quite different to this.

Golden Promise is a barley variety. The way the maltster produces malt from that variety WILL play a large part in the finished beer. Floor malted from the likes of Thomas Fawcett compared with Bairds are worlds apart.

My first experiment to produce something similar to TTLL used an almost indentical recipe to your recipe. The only GP I can find in Australia is Bairds (atm) and using this malt in that recipe gave me nothing like TTLL. First one was thin and insipid, I mashed higher and although a bit more body, really wasn't similar to the TTLL I had tasted.

This was using the same water profile as TT's source (less any adjustments they do in the brewery) and the yeast strain from Wyeast. Hops were styrian goldings, some EKG and some fuggles, I forget the exact hop mix. the hop character wasn't that far off the genuine beer.

What malster's GP do you use Whorst?

The very reason it was suggested to me to try Bairds MO plus some munich...

After reading several threads on this very site the general consensus for hop schedules is Fuggles for bittering, EKG for flavour and Styrian Goldings for aroma. The 1469 TTL yeast is a must - my current batch with 1968 is more to get an idea of what 1968 can bring to the party (plus the fact it was there and it would have taken me a week to build up enough 1469).

Boiling down some 1st runnings to caramelise them has been done to death and is a lot of effort that doesnt seem worth it IMO. To get that extra bit of colour that MO and munich dont quite provide i added 4/5ths of FA carafa spec II. Colour is very close now and i am happy with the malt profile, hopping etc.

Is it a clone? Maybe not. Hence why its called Publican not Landlord.

As i said before Gregg, happy to let you sample some, provided of course you bring a bottle of the real deal! :D

I have no idea who the maltster is. All I know is that it's very pale. I buy it from these people: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/1_LB_GOLDEN..._CRUS_P2185.cfm I've also brewed it with a Canadian malt with good success. It's a cross between Triumph and Harrington varieties.

My experience is quite different to this.

Golden Promise is a barley variety. The way the maltster produces malt from that variety WILL play a large part in the finished beer. Floor malted from the likes of Thomas Fawcett compared with Bairds are worlds apart.

My first experiment to produce something similar to TTLL used an almost indentical recipe to your recipe. The only GP I can find in Australia is Bairds (atm) and using this malt in that recipe gave me nothing like TTLL. First one was thin and insipid, I mashed higher and although a bit more body, really wasn't similar to the TTLL I had tasted.

This was using the same water profile as TT's source (less any adjustments they do in the brewery) and the yeast strain from Wyeast. Hops were styrian goldings, some EKG and some fuggles, I forget the exact hop mix. the hop character wasn't that far off the genuine beer.

What malster's GP do you use Whorst?

The very reason it was suggested to me to try Bairds MO plus some munich...

Boiling down some 1st runnings to caramelise them has been done to death and is a lot of effort that doesnt seem worth it IMO. To get that extra bit of colour that MO and munich dont quite provide i added 4/5ths of FA carafa spec II. Colour is very close now and i am happy with the malt profile, hopping etc.

Is it a clone? Maybe not. Hence why its called Publican not Landlord.

A german malt style in an english beer :eek:

that said, I have tried melanoidin and didn't mind the result, it wasn't what I was trying to achieve, but still a nice beer.

Yep agree caramalising didn't do it for me either. I used chocolate pale malt.

I think something to remember is this beer is one of the most awarded english beers and I am sure if it could easily be clone/copied some commercial interests would have succeed by now.

The WY1469 is a fickle beast and will have a lot to do with the end result as well, it does not like any sort of top pressure at all so make sure you ferment in a wide fermenter or pail and don't use an airlock. You may have better results as far as maltiness goes using WY1968

My attempts at TTLLPA have been documented before and I have found that I have had reasonable results using just the Bairds GP, I mash around the 67-68C mark but also caramelise the bejeesus out of the first 3L or so out of the kettle, it goes in a separate pot on the stove until reduced to about a litre. Styrians are the signature hop and need to go in at the end of boil or for even more punch in the hopback

I wondered how long it would be until ausdb pocked his head in here.

Cool, thanks, does anyone have yorkshire (assuming that is the one to use) water profile?
Im thinking of kegging and carbonating with priming sugar how much for 2 vol co2?
Is it the same as for bottling or a reduced amount per litre?
Thanks for the hints on 1469 ausdb. will definately use this yeast.

Cool, thanks, does anyone have yorkshire (assuming that is the one to use) water profile?
Im thinking of kegging and carbonating with priming sugar how much for 2 vol co2?
Is it the same as for bottling or a reduced amount per litre?
Thanks for the hints on 1469 ausdb. will definately use this yeast.

Water Profile
Yorkshire, England
Calcium (Ca)= 105.0
Magnesium (Mg)= 17.0
Sodium (Na)= 23.0
Sulfate (SO4)= 66.0
Chloride (C1)= 30.0
Bicarbonate (HC03)= 153.0
PH= 8.33

From Here link.

Latest posts

Back