True South Single Batches

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taj

Reaction score
2nd single batch brewed today!!! An Aussie first !! A single hop Sorachi Ace, mint infused ale :kooi: it should be ready about the middle of December, it'll be on at The Brewery (True South), The Local Taphouse and Beer Deluxe... so far. keep your eye out for it!!

2nd single batch brewed today!!! An Aussie first !! A single hop Sorachi Ace, mint infused ale :kooi: it should be ready about the middle of December, it'll be on at The Brewery (True South), The Local Taphouse and Beer Deluxe... so far. keep your eye out for it!!
Sam ,
If it as good as your other beers , and your cider , I'm sure it will be a cracker !
Thanks again on behalf of Westgate , for coming in , on your day off , to show us around....
Btw...your brewery was the cleanest of the 3 of the day !
Cheers
Ferg
Secretary
Westgate

Sam ,
If it as good as your other beers , and your cider , I'm sure it will be a cracker !
Thanks again on behalf of Westgate , for coming in , on your day off , to show us around....
Btw...your brewery was the cleanest of the 3 of the day !
Cheers
Ferg
Secretary
Westgate

Thanks Ferg, it was great having you guys in! I should have jumped on the bus with you, it sounds like you had a ball :beerbang:

The " MINT NINJA" got a hefty whack of Sorachi ace in the FV on Saturday :beerbang:

How's it tasting, Sam? I think I'm due for another visit to the brewery sometime in the next month or so..

How's it tasting, Sam? I think I'm due for another visit to the brewery sometime in the next month or so..

I just had a taste today before chilling today, so the yeast is still very prominent. But behind that, I can pick up a beautiful but not overpowering mint character... then the Sorachi ace kicks in with lemon rind, lemongrass and myrtle. To taste it has a soft minty/wheaty front pallet that gives way to a great lemony bursts, finishing with a big, but not over the top bitterness. I'm pretty happy with it so far B)

I just had a taste today before chilling today, so the yeast is still very prominent. But behind that, I can pick up a beautiful but not overpowering mint character... then the Sorachi ace kicks in with lemon rind, lemongrass and myrtle. To taste it has a soft minty/wheaty front pallet that gives way to a great lemony bursts, finishing with a big, but not over the top bitterness. I'm pretty happy with it so far B)

I love your description - sounds like you've captured the essence of Sorachi Ace. How big is it?

The Sorachi ace is a big 11.6 AA, so i was pretty careful at SOB... Then it was a free for all at EOB and dry hopping (x 2). My target was about 40-45 bu's but I'm not massively concerned as this whole brew is about having some fun using some wonderful/wacky ingredients. I'm looking forward to showing this one off :D

Did you use a Saison-ish style beer as the base beer? Don't think I've had a beer with Sorachi Ace yet.

I recently made a 100% Sorachi Ace Pale Ale and it taste like nothing but Lemon Curd. I dont know if i love it or hate it! :lol: I also blended it 30:70 with a 77IBU monster IPA to see what its like with a mixed hop profile and the sorachi ace still comes through in bucket loads. Its a very dominant hop and i'd like to see how this turns out w/the mint Taj!

Interesting indeed!

I might have to skip down your way for another weekend lunch agian.

I poped in for a beer today after doing some interviews in town and was lucky enough to be granted a very special tasting of the Sorachi Ale. Lots of yeast still hanging in there as Sam had only just chilled it down - very delicious - fruity, asian inspired for me with lemon grass, hints of spice and even hints of star anise although Sam says there is no sa in there. Lovely fragrant nose, a very very promising beer. Cant wait to try it once it has cleared up and is pouring off tap - my prediction is it will be a winner.

Cider was tasting bloody good too!

The Sorachi ace is a big 11.6 AA, so i was pretty careful at SOB... Then it was a free for all at EOB and dry hopping (x 2). My target was about 40-45 bu's

Oh I meant the beer - how strong is it/what was the OG?

I just made a 4% wheat beer with probably the same batch (11.6%AA) hopped only in the last 10 minutes that measured 64 BU! :S

I used my summer ale base, with a few minor changes. The reason for this was to see what the Kolsch yeast could offer in terms of a nice fruity balance between the mint and lemon character... 4.6% alc

Am I giving away too many secrets??

OK it's almost ready!! Today the 'Mint Ninja' is heading to bright beer (even tho it's unfiltered) for a little extra co2. The big release at the brewery will be this Thursday 16th, so come on down and enjoy!! and if you see me around, give me a yell and say G'day :D

Sam why didnt you tell us about The Epicure Age article? featuring the mint ninja and all.

Not a bad little article and great exposure for you and TS.

Brew on sister! now just to make it down there and sample this little gem...

Thanks Guys :D

kegs of the "Mint Ninja" have also been delivered to The Local (st kilda) and Beer Deluxe.

Thanks Guys :D

kegs of the "Mint Ninja" have also been delivered to The Local (st kilda) and Beer Deluxe.
carn sam what about poor Mrs P's? thats so close for a few of us boys. we were there yesterday and made the same comment. mind you i suppose beer delux isnt too far

Back