True South Cherry Porter Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Giant

Reaction score
Howdy All

While ago I enjoyed quite a few True South Cherry Porters in Melbourne! I know they dont sell or bottle it and given i'm in Brisbane I would like to make something remotely close to it.

I'm still just using cans of goos and hops, got good temp control now and been cold conditioning a bit. Been mainly only doing Blondes and experimenting with differnt hops and IPAs so this will be my first darker beer.

How can I make something close to this? I was thinking of buying a Porter FWK from my LHBS, I just need to check if its a Chocolate Porter or just standard. If I went with the FWK how could I get the Cherry flavour addition to it? What yeast and temps am I looking at?

Thanks
Steve

I've tried it only the once. I found the cherry a tiny bit artificial (still a tasty beer though) so you could try one of the fruit syrups from Craftbrewer. Blend a bit of fermented beer in a glass till you get the proportion you want before making up the lot.

I tried a raspberry porter once made with the stuff - great porter but too much fruit flavour so a little goes a long way.
Otherwise rack after primary fermentation onto some cherries. See the wiki article on using fruit in beers.

I have no idea what yeast but I think the idea of a FWK is a good start.

See if Taj will give you some hints (seeing as its her creation)

Thanks Manticle. So it is probably best to add the cherry flavour however I choose to do it after fermentation then?

Hey TG, glad you liked it! I've had loads of requests to do another batch, so you never know the "cherry Bomb" may see the light of day again! and if I do another one, I'd like to put it on wood for a little while.

Anyhoo... If your using goo try and find one that has a nice choc flavor, as I used a reasonable amount of choc malt in the grist. I used 4 kgs of coconut (for 1200lts) in the boil, that I slightly toasted. The reason for that, was because I was a little worried about the oils affecting my head retention. Willamette's were used for bittering and aroma but only at low levels, try putting your aroma hops in the whirlpool instead of EOB! I find I get alot more aroma from the hops that way.

I used pureed Morello Cherry's from Europe that came frozen with no added anything!! these went straight in the FV for fermation... I reckon it'd be best to use your Cherry's in secondary thou. Use a nice neutral ale yeast like S04.

good luck and keep me updated...

Cheers Sam

[SIZE=medium]I can’t say I have tried the True South version the OP was referring to – but it sounds like I am trying to make something similar. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Here’s what I have on the go at the moment[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]GrumpyPaul’s Cherry Ripe Porter[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]18lt Batch[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Grains[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Ale Malt 3.10kg[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Brown Malt 0.35kg[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Caramalt Malt 0.35kg[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Chocolate Malt 0.20kg[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Black Patent Malt 0.20kg[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Adjuncts[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Cacao Nib 120g[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Coconut 100g[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Nibs and Coconut roasted in the oven at 150degress for about 20 mins[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Hops[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Willamette 30g 60min[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Willamette 20g 20min[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Willamette 10g 10min[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Mash Schedule[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Mashed in at 55degrees for 15min[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Mashed at 67 degrees for 60mins[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Mash out at 72 for 15 mins.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Pitched Wyeast 1318 originally – but it didn’t start [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium](should have made a starter)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Pitched Safale S04 a few days later.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]OG 1047[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]FG 1012 (expected)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I plan to rack it onto some Morrello Cherries into the secondary tonight.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I have grabbed two 670g jar of “Marco Polo - Morello Pitted Cherries” from Safeway. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium] MARCO-POLO-MORELLO-PITTED-CHERRIES-670G.jpg[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I should strain the cherries off the “syrup” in the jar or just chuck the whole lot in?[/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back