True South Brewery, Black Rock Vic

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the update Sam. Looking forward to trying a drop of True South in the near future.

Its killing us.......... please give us some good news to look forward to :rolleyes:
And the opening date is -- of september 2009. Please fill in blank!!!! :D

Ok, you want the good news or the bad news???

Good news is, we're set to go and the beer is chilling...

Bad news is, unfortunately we can't serve you alcohol until our liquor licence has been granted :( But for now come and enjoy brekkie and lunch and some of our great coffee.

Cheers Sam

maybe you can invite some 'friends' around for a preview drink. we'll run a tab off the books!

Sucks for you Sam. Damn Dept of Justice and their slack Liquor Licensing public servants!

Ok, you want the good news or the bad news???

Good news is, we're set to go and the beer is chilling...

Bad news is, unfortunately we can't serve you alcohol until our liquor licence has been granted :( But for now come and enjoy brekkie and lunch and some of our great coffee.

Cheers Sam

Will be in for a feed with the crew ,asap!

Open yet Sam? Hoping to drag a few brewers out for a farewell drink at the end of next week.

The big question - can I have a beer with my eggs and bacon tomorrow morning?

The big question - can I have a beer with my eggs and bacon tomorrow morning?

No you cant! Sadly!! I went down for a coffee this morning and the place was pretty busy. The brekkies coming out looked bloody good. Coffee wasnt too bad - I asked for a double shot which I think they skimped on a little and could have been hotter - but it is early days and they need to get in to their groove etc.

I am holding a dinner there in a week so I had to drop in yesterday and talk with the chef about the menu. The dinner is a pre launch of my copok book so we are cooking dishes from my book rather then from the True South Menu - however the chef Phil gave me a taste of his Rabbit Galantines - stunning!!!! He has a very interesting history of chefing and is clearly excited by the relationship of the brewery and the kitchen - some great beer food is going to come out of there!

Tried Sam's Pale Ale it was quite good with a nice lingering dried hop finish. I look forward to Sam making this one in her brewery over the coming weeks as I reckon it will be a corker when everything is under her control. I ve been drinking her beer for years both at the Gunn Island and then at the Macquarie Hotel in Sydney - she is a great brewer and I am looking forward to having a few ales at the bar and the word is early next week to be able to do that.

No you cant! Sadly!! I went down for a coffee this morning and the place was pretty busy. The brekkies coming out looked bloody good. Coffee wasnt too bad - I asked for a double shot which I think they skimped on a little and could have been hotter - but it is early days and they need to get in to their groove etc.

I went down this morning too - had a "True South Breakfast" minus the beer. One of the best breakfast's I've had in a long time. The presure is on now Sam - Is the beer going to be as good as the food?

I went down this morning too - had a "True South Breakfast" minus the beer. One of the best breakfast's I've had in a long time. The presure is on now Sam - Is the beer going to be as good as the food?

I eat pressure for breakfast!!! B) I'll let the chef know he can head to your place for a fry up anytime. :p

Hey Dig, sorry mate, still waiting for the licence <_< will let you know asap.

Hey Dig, sorry mate, still waiting for the licence <_< will let you know asap.
No worries. Myself and a few other deadbeats are going to get out for a farewell beer on Thursday pm. Would have liked to have done so at True South, but we'll go to The Portland to be safe. Hope to see you there Sam, Paul, Kai and any other brewers keen on a sneaky beer. Heading off to live in Canada on Sunday.

No worries. Myself and a few other deadbeats are going to get out for a farewell beer on Thursday pm. Would have liked to have done so at True South, but we'll go to The Portland to be safe. Hope to see you there Sam, Paul, Kai and any other brewers keen on a sneaky beer. Heading off to live in Canada on Sunday.

Dean would love to pop in for a beer but I am holding a dinner at The Lord Nelson for the launch of my cook book - Mercurio's Menu. I will have a Three Sheets in your honour. Having a dinner at True South next week for the Melbourne launch so will be having a couple of Sam's ales then too - I will try and remember you then too but I cant promise anything :)

All the best to you and Canada - I have a feeling I may bump into you over there sometime in the future.

Dean, all the very best for your new adventure in Canada. May all your brews be great! I am driving down to Melbourne on Thursday but heading down to Doveton. Will see if I can divert to the CBD... What time are you kicking off?

Cheers,

Wes

5? Can only stay for a couple; staying out of town on Thursday night and then driving to Sydney early on Friday.

Will see how the Hume Highway runs but might be able to make it for 5. Will probably stay in town for the night in that case.

Wes

If its a liquor licence issue as stated earlier, would it be fair to say you wont be getting the liquor licence until after Sept 30 in line with the census date for excise?

If its a liquor licence issue as stated earlier, would it be fair to say you wont be getting the liquor licence until after Sept 30 in line with the census date for excise?

No, I think the delay is more likely due to the boofheads beating the shit out of each other in the city.

On a brewing side of things, I'll be doing the first water brew tomorrow, then if all's well we'll have a little meet and greet session "mash tun meet malt" "malt meet mash tun" :D

No, I think the delay is more likely due to the boofheads beating the shit out of each other in the city.

So I'm guessing there isn't any good news at the moment. :(

Listening to Shannon Bennett trying to get his licence for the restaurant in St Kilda Road makes me think some people in government departments like making things difficult.

Just wanted to add that i had breakfast there twice this week and it was excellent. I can't wait for the Beer, hope all goes well with the red tape and i want to thank all those responsible for getting this place open and running. Working about 20 meters away, it's a godsend for a beer lover like me. thank you. thank you. thank you. :party:

Back