Trub From Grain Mashing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegade

Awaiting Exile
Reaction score
After putting down my biggest grain usage beer to date last weekend, I'm noticing a hell of a lot mroe trub at the bottom of the fermenter, and its only day three since pitching. No doubt the tap's going to get buried once the yeast trub drops on top of the grain trub, so I'll have to sort something out when it's time to rack.

So how do people avoid transferring this trub on an all-grain bill ? Would you let the trub settle then siphon from the top of your hot wort ?

For the record, I only used 600 grams Pilsener Malt and a further 200grams of steeped crystal so I'm surprised at this, but Im sure it can be easily remedied next time (when I plan to use up to 1kg of grain)

After putting down my biggest grain usage beer to date last weekend, I'm noticing a hell of a lot mroe trub at the bottom of the fermenter, and its only day three since pitching. No doubt the tap's going to get buried once the yeast trub drops on top of the grain trub, so I'll have to sort something out when it's time to rack.

So how do people avoid transferring this trub on an all-grain bill ? Would you let the trub settle then siphon from the top of your hot wort ?

For the record, I only used 600 grams Pilsener Malt and a further 200grams of steeped crystal so I'm surprised at this, but Im sure it can be easily remedied next time (when I plan to use up to 1kg of grain)

I know it's a silly question, and don't be offended, but you did filter out the grain from the wort? What is the process you used for the partial mash?

EDIT: Sorry just reread your post. Yes the hot wort should be removed from the grain, with such a small quantity you could use a sieve/strainer etc. For larger quantities you need a mash tun with a manifold of some description in the bottom. Or you can do something like BIAB. If you are talking about the break that is left after you boil the wort, then I normally whirlpool (which concentrates the trub into the middle of the kettle) then siphon from the edge of the kettle. leaves the vast majority behind. Does that help?

My normal grain bill if 5kg of grain and I end up with about 2cm of trub at the bottom of the fermenter, most of it yeast.

James

My last two brews "appeared" to have had a large trub soon after pitching. Two weeks later, the true trub level - usual size. See what it looks like in a few more days before panicking. Likely will settle down no problems. But yes, if worried, you can rack with a tube / racking cane.

I know it's a silly question, and don't be offended, but you did filter out the grain from the wort? What is the process you used for the partial mash?

EDIT: Sorry just reread your post. Yes the hot wort should be removed from the grain, with such a small quantity you could use a sieve/strainer etc. For larger quantities you need a mash tun with a manifold of some description in the bottom. Or you can do something like BIAB. If you are talking about the break that is left after you boil the wort, then I normally whirlpool (which concentrates the trub into the middle of the kettle) then siphon from the edge of the kettle. leaves the vast majority behind. Does that help?

My normal grain bill if 5kg of grain and I end up with about 2cm of trub at the bottom of the fermenter, most of it yeast.

James

Yes that helps (and no, I didnt throw the post-mash grain into the fermenter ! That was sieved off. So what I am looking at here is 'break' (oh and hop material - which Ive often just thrown into the fermenter). The more Im reading about 'hot wort aeration' the less inclined I have been to sieve off the post-boiled liqor. I did use Irish Moss but didnt see the point until now. So what gear do you use to siphon off the wort after you have boiled ? i doubt by poly tubing I have would cope with high temps. For such a small volume (ie under a kilo) I suppose a lot of it could just be settled in the pot and gently poured off the trub thats fallen out / clumped?

I'm upping my grain usage from this point on to get an idea of the characteristics and the nature of the porocess before going AG. This is lesson one :) And I'll easily find a workaround for this current batch, but would like to avoid it in future, so all suggestions are good. Thanks.

Yes that helps (and no, I didnt throw the post-mash grain into the fermenter ! That was sieved off. So what I am looking at here is 'break' (oh and hop material - which Ive often just thrown into the fermenter). The more Im reading about 'hot wort aeration' the less inclined I have been to sieve off the post-boiled liqor. I did use Irish Moss but didnt see the point until now. So what gear do you use to siphon off the wort after you have boiled ? i doubt by poly tubing I have would cope with high temps. For such a small volume (ie under a kilo) I suppose a lot of it could just be settled in the pot and gently poured off the trub thats fallen out / clumped?

I'm upping my grain usage from this point on to get an idea of the characteristics and the nature of the porocess before going AG. This is lesson one :) And I'll easily find a workaround for this current batch, but would like to avoid it in future, so all suggestions are good. Thanks.

I have a tap drilled in the hole of my kettle. Have a search for pickup tube, there's heaps of designs on the forum. I never used to whirlpool, just drain the whole lot into the cube to chill. Then I gave it a go and haven't looked back. There's something about crystal clear beer coming out of the kettle that's great to watch. For a small volume you could invest in one of those siphons that grain and grape sell (I'm sure the sponsors sell them too). Do a small whirlpool then siphon from the side.

As I said I used to tip everything into the fermenter, hops, hot break cold break, everything. Now only the cold break goes in, but the beers beforehand were fine. I think they're better now, all things considered. Mainly in regards to clarity, especially my lagers.

As fatgodzilla said though, if it is just break material and hops you're looking at, don't worry it will compact to form normal fermenter trub.

James

Latest posts

Back