Trout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza_devil

Reaction score
G'day Brewers,
I've been catching quite a few Sea-Runner Trout (Brown trout that have found their way to the estuaries and sea) and would like to know if anyone has found a good beer to compliment them, oven baked or pan fried.
Any suggestions or ideas?
I usually have them with a nice dry white wine but would prefer a beer if I can find one to match nicely.
Cheers.

G'day Brewers,
I've been catching quite a few Sea-Runner Trout (Brown trout that have found their way to the estuaries and sea) and would like to know if anyone has found a good beer to compliment them, oven baked or pan fried.
Any suggestions or ideas?
I usually have them with a nice dry white wine but would prefer a beer if I can find one to match nicely.
Cheers.
Sounds to me like a kolsh or a Smash ale w/ Nelson Sauvin would work well.

I know that this might be a little hectic, but because the trout is a reasonably oily fish, I would say something funky like Rodenbach or an Orval with a little age if you are either into it or open to it.

If you can get one, the Schneider-Brooklyner Hopfen-Weisse would be really great.

cure them in a brine of salt, sugar, honey and porter for 20 - 30 minutes and then smoke them. eat them with a salad or put them in a fritatta and have a glass or two of porter with them.

Baking them I would still go a porter - pan fried I like the idea of a kolsch but also like the idea of a porter.

at the end of the day it's whatever floats your boat!

Brother in law brought a huge smoked trout round to our sunday dinner a couple of weeks ago (everybody brings something different). It was BLOODY delicious and I was drinking a nice cold Pils at the time.
Cheers
Steve

Back