Trouble Reading Mash Ph

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sink cut

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have been brewing a long time but recently changed towns and decided I need to start using brewing salts, and therfore I need to know my mash PH to determine my salts addition.

I have some of these http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=761.

Today I made a an AlT Beer with 95% Vienna and 5% Cararoma. I tried to use the test strip just at the start of SC (just after mash in). The test area on the paper just looked like wet paper, slightly off white. Either the PH was well below 5.2 so it did not represent one of the test colours, or the test just did not work.

Does anyone have tips on testing and adjusting mash PH using these test strips?

Thanks in Advance

SC

Take a sample of the wort and cool it to room temps before measuring, hot wort pH reads lower than room temp. IE. a 5.2 mash at room might read 4.9 at mash/boil.
Braukaiser's site has some great articles on pH and various measuring techniques, worth a read.

Take a sample of the wort and cool it to room temps before measuring, hot wort pH reads lower than room temp. IE. a 5.2 mash at room might read 4.9 at mash/boil.
Braukaiser's site has some great articles on pH and various measuring techniques, worth a read.
Yes, I just dipped the paper straight in the mash.

can't help wondering though, by the time you cool some mash, take your measurement, work out your salt adjustment the most active part of Starch conversion will be over.

Yes, I just dipped the paper straight in the mash.

can't help wondering though, by the time you cool some mash, take your measurement, work out your salt adjustment the most active part of Starch conversion will be over.

Could be but you will at least know for next time.

No way to get your water data?

You can also do a mini mash and test that. A bit of grain in a bit of water. Then you can test several potential grain bills.

You can also do a mini mash and test that. A bit of grain in a bit of water. Then you can test several potential grain bills.

Good plan, I'll use 100gm of grain the night before instead of testing out ont the 15kg the next day-

Talking to some local brewers (samus) I Know our water is very soft and very low in Calcium and Magnesium. I also pass my water through a fine filter with carbon so at least i don't have chlorine. I have just been planning to use Calc carbonate, calc sulphate and calc chloride to adjust.

Good plan, I'll use 100gm of grain the night before instead of testing out ont the 15kg the next day-

Talking to some local brewers (samus) I Know our water is very soft and very low in Calcium and Magnesium. I also pass my water through a fine filter with carbon so at least i don't have chlorine. I have just been planning to use Calc carbonate, calc sulphate and calc chloride to adjust.

Carbon filters mess up the water anyway so knowing what is in your water will not help much.

Dont forget to add some Epsom salts for Magnesium. Enough to get 15ppm of Magnesium. Then go from there for the other adjustments. Magnesium is important for yeast health.

Back