Tropical White IPA (NZ)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheeser

Reaction score
Hey guys, I havn't brewed an IPA for a while and wanting some opinions on hop additions.

I've already got all my ingredients so you'll just have to work with what i got... I'm wanting a 7.5% New Zealand White IPA, that doesn't have much malt character and would be describe as a refreshing "tropical fruit bomb".

21L Batch

Grain Bill
6.8kg Gladfield - Ale Malt
0.25kg Carapils

Hops
100g Motueka 7.0% (NZ)
100g Riwaka 4.9% (NZ)
100g Mosaic 10.6% (USA)

WLP001 California Ale Yeast

I've selected these hops due to local availability and reading that they have the best tropical fruit/passion-fruit flavours. I wasn't so much after the resinous and big citrus flavours (though i know there'll be some). I don't want a strong sharp bitterness, but thinking around 45-50IBU to somewhat mask the 7.5% alcohol.

I'm leaning towards mostly late hop additions, increasing the amount each time. Eg. I'd like each hop variety to be as equally weighted as possible, chucking some of each in at 15, 10, 5. 0. Then maybe add the rest in dry hopping.

Also, a additional question. Whats the best fermentation temperature to bring the hop flavours out with WLP001... 18C?

Hope someone can help me out!

Cheers

Scott

Last edited:
hey guys, this is a rough hop addition schedule that i came up with..

Estimated OG: 1.072 SG
Estimated Color: 12.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 46.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6800.00 g Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 96.5 %
250.00 g Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 2 3.5 %
40.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [10.60 %] - Boil 60.0 m Hop 3 22.8 IBUs
15.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [10.60 %] - Boil 15.0 m Hop 4 4.2 IBUs
15.00 g Motueka [7.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 2.8 IBUs
15.00 g Riwaka [4.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 2.0 IBUs
20.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [10.60 %] - Boil 10.0 m Hop 7 4.1 IBUs
20.00 g Motueka [7.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 2.7 IBUs
20.00 g Riwaka [4.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 1.9 IBUs
25.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [10.60 %] - Boil 5.0 mi Hop 10 2.8 IBUs
25.00 g Motueka [7.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 1.9 IBUs
25.00 g Riwaka [4.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 1.3 IBUs
40.00 g Motueka [7.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
40.00 g Riwaka [4.90 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

You think I should change anything? Or will it be alright?

bit heavy duty for me cheeser!

I've just tried Motueka and I like it. Riwaka was a little "passion fruity" for my taste.

good luck with it.

Hi Cheeser, I'll be having a pop at this one for you using your grist bill & hop choices & ibu target , should be with you for Sat, it'll get me out of the old beers I've been working on !! , cheers , Edd

good4whatAlesU - Passion fruity is exactly what I'm after for this one, i really hope the Riwaka shines through!

Gregos - I don't have a chiller coil (yet), but can get the temperature down fairly quick. I cool it down in a large sink and chuck in a few large ice cubes that are on standby. The trick is to constantly slosh the beer and stir the sink water to make sure there isn't a strong thermal boundary layer.

Edd Mather 6 - Good to hear! you'll have to let me know how it turns out. I'll be brewing Saturday morning aswell ;) I don't have much experience with these hops. Do you think I should tone down any of the varieties? The Mosaic has a bit more alpha acids then the other two, wondering if i should add a little less in each addition...? Also, I'm planning to mash at 66.6C (152F). What fermentation temperature are you targeting? I'm thinking 18-19C to accentuate some of the hop characters a little more (normally I ferment at 15).

good4whatAlesU - Passion fruity is exactly what I'm after for this one, i really hope the Riwaka shines through!

Gregos - I don't have a chiller coil (yet), but can get the temperature down fairly quick. I cool it down in a large sink and chuck in a few large ice cubes that are on standby. The trick is to constantly slosh the beer and stir the sink water to make sure there isn't a strong thermal boundary layer.

Edd Mather 6 - Good to hear! you'll have to let me know how it turns out. I'll be brewing Saturday morning aswell ;) I don't have much experience with these hops. Do you think I should tone down any of the varieties? The Mosaic has a bit more alpha acids then the other two, wondering if i should add a little less in each addition...? Also, I'm planning to mash at 66.6C (152F). What fermentation temperature are you targeting? I'm thinking 18-19C to accentuate some of the hop characters a little more (normally I ferment at 15).
Hi Mate , a couple o things!! , 1) mash temp : I'd go for a two step 1st at 145°F for 20-30 mins @ 2.685l/kg , raise to 150°F @ .785l/kg @ the 20-30 mins mk , then raise again to 156-7 @ 60 mins , re the bittering hops : I'd go for getting the basic bitterness with whatever old hops you have , and finish in the last 2 charges with your flavour and aroma hops . Working on the recipie for you , Cheers , Edd

Hi Mate , a couple o things!! , 1) mash temp : I'd go for a two step 1st at 145°F for 20-30 mins @ 2.685l/kg , raise to 150°F @ .785l/kg @ the 20-30 mins mk , then raise again to 156-7 @ 60 mins , re the bittering hops : I'd go for getting the basic bitterness with whatever old hops you have , and finish in the last 2 charges with your flavour and aroma hops . Working on the recipie for you , Cheers , Edd
Whoops!! , 3 step , 2 raises !! Forgot to include the second raise ratio !! , should be OK with .750l/kg ;)

unfortunately, i can't change the mash temperature, brewing in the old esky! How are you going? I've just started brewing so if you've modified the hop additions let me know!

unfortunately, i can't change the mash temperature, brewing in the old esky! How are you going? I've just started brewing so if you've modified the hop additions let me know!
Hi , not doing to bad thanks, I'll be re jigging the recipie and posting a photo of it later today for you , with an across the board mash temp of 156°Fahrenheit , sparging @ 170°F, cheers, Edd

Edd me old china, 'ere in the Colonies we gave up Pounds Shillings and Pence and rods poles and perches back when Charlie still had hair.

We still put on our best whistle and go down the frog to the rubbidy to get away from the trouble ('er indoors), but execute our brewing calculations in Celsius :bigcheers:

Just saying. :cool:

Edd me old china, 'ere in the Colonies we gave up Pounds Shillings and Pence and rods poles and perches back when Charlie still had hair.

We still put on our best whistle and go down the frog to the rubbidy to get away from the trouble ('er indoors), but execute our brewing calculations in Celsius :bigcheers:

Just saying. :cool:
Aah OK , I'll pop the conversion temps into c , my brain's default settings Fahrenheit !!

Sent from my 5045X using Aussie Home Brewer mobile app

When you say white IPA, it suggests you're blending Belgian wit and IPA. From the proposed recipe, it's evident that isn't your intent. In this case, it just sounds like you're making an ipa using new zealand hops (which is great - simple and nz hop fruitiness lends itself well to the style). Riwaka is tasty.
Mosaic is ok too.

Grain bill looks really nice and simple. California ale I'd start low (I'll aim for 16.5 - 17 thermostat temp so active ferment is about 18) then bump to 20-ish after 48-72 hrs.

@Edd - I'm a fan of step mashing and do it for most brews but why specifically in this case would you recommend it?

I would also nitpick the 'white' part of the name - Manticle said Belgian wit + IPA, but I would be more specific and say (from my experience with commericial and FWK examples), that 'white IPA' refers to an IPA with a malt bill that has a lot (40-50%) of wheat (yes, like a wit, but heaps of other beers have that much wheat too).

For the hops, I would be skipping the 15 and 10 min additions.....move those hops and split them between the 5 min and dry hop additions, then add a little to the 60 min in order to achieve the desired IBUs.
You could also consider a FWH instead of your 60 min addition to give a 'smoother' bitterness, if you're not looking for a bitter, resinous monster

From my understanding, the substyle (yet another ipa substyle) originated from aipa and belgian wit, including spice additions.

Hi All ,
My recipie`s more of a hop bomb IPA than a Wit IPA !! (Mea Culpa)
(25 Litres Length)
Sparge = 4.385 L/kg should be ok !
IMG_20170923_121559.jpg
FB_IMG_1506165096830.jpg
BEER MONKEY !!

When you say white IPA, it suggests you're blending Belgian wit and IPA. From the proposed recipe, it's evident that isn't your intent. In this case, it just sounds like you're making an ipa using new zealand hops (which is great - simple and nz hop fruitiness lends itself well to the style). Riwaka is tasty.
Mosaic is ok too.

Grain bill looks really nice and simple. California ale I'd start low (I'll aim for 16.5 - 17 thermostat temp so active ferment is about 18) then bump to 20-ish after 48-72 hrs.

@Edd - I'm a fan of step mashing and do it for most brews but why specifically in this case would you recommend it?
Hi Manticle , my preference for stepped mashing is more force of habit (aquired through historical research on old UK beers ) than owt else !!

*ducks and covers* You could always just throw some Belgian yeast in and ferment on the cool side. 3711 and belle saison are my favorites here. I've made a few hoppy dry beers with them fermented at around 17C and ramped up to 25C. Motueka and Saison yeast are good mates. I'd like to say it's because of the saaz lineage but that's probably a long bow to string!

Back