Tropical Flavours

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommygun

Reaction score
After trying the Hopmother at the Taphouse a few weeks ago I'm thinking to put down a tropical aroma ale but not over the top tropical taste. Has anyone used nelson sauvin, galaxy and amarillo together before? Just after a few ideas before I order some stock.

Ross' Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale is a great start (in the RecipeDB), and if you ask Katie nicely, she'll give you a recipe to add in Galaxy... although I'm still waiting on that one, Katie... :unsure:

I'm told around half-and-half NS and Galaxy in the NS summer ale is a great summer/tropical style beer. I'll be brewing it myself next weekend. When I did the NSSA I mashed a little high, and got poor efficiency (first AG) but it came out a stunner, so I'm hoping that doing it better will be awesome.

On to it QB might do that for you after this post.

Ive tried Nelson, Galaxy and Amarilllo together and its very nice indeed, Ive also brewed with them indvidually. I find amarillo has a nice stone fruit flavour, but sometimes it throws passionfruit. They all seem to combine well as I get similar flavour from the all! But yes they work together fine.

Ive just put down a hopburst of nelson, cascade and galaxy, out of the fermenter its tasting a little like FAT YAK but with more punch and also quite malty.

Becareful with the over use of Nelson it might be a fruity sweet hop but it has a wicked bitterness to it and then if over used in the flavour and aroma end it can be cloying. As QB said and I have many times Ross Summer Ale is great to experiement with single hops.

KT's Hopburst

The Keg that i'm drinking atm is docs gold with Amarillo and ns.

it's passion fruit with citrus tang.

grouse

I can't get rid of my mates

Horner

So Katie how do reckon it would go if I used the your hopping schedule for the hopburst but with amarillo, galaxy and nelson but dropping the 15min to reduce the IBU a little?

That will work are you going to use the same grain bill? You will probably find it will come out similar in the IBU as amarillo is only a couple of points higher.

Its a trusted one from a great brewer! Its tasting really malty out of the fermenter to back up the sweetness of the hops. I cant wait to taste it....

Have fun and let me know how it goes.

Back