Triticale / Wheat Beer.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosswill

Reaction score
I was given some Triticale from a farmer mate who want to see if I could do anything with it in a beer. I searched this site, and was a bit put back by some of the feedback from those that had used it before. Somewhat chasened, I proceeded and made a beer based losely on Jamil's American Wheat/Rye recipe. (60% BB Pale, 20% malted wheat, 20% unmalted Triticale. Willamette 60 & 20 Minutes and a small flame out addition of Centenial. Fermented with Forbidden Fruit.)

The beer is only a week out of the fermenter, and the first tasting is it is a pleasant beer, with something different in the background. That would be the Triticale. Hard to describe it. Not unpleasant, but different from a normal wheat beer. I'll keep tasting it weekly and see if I can put my finger on it.

It was not really what I was looking for, I was hoping for something that tastes completely different. I think I will have another go, but up the Triticale to say 40% and maybe reduce the flavour and aroma hop additions.

Good work. Did you malt the trit before mashing?
Greg

Back