Triple Fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dans6401

Reaction score
Can anyone here enlighten me on what is meant when they say triple fermentation. Was thinking that it could'nt be adding more yeast to the wort as once the sugars are fermented thats it. (As far as what my somewhat limited knowledge leads me to believe) So is it adding more sugars etc... after the yeast has started to slow / stop?
Thanks

I would guess. Primary, secondary, bottle.
Daz

Can anyone here enlighten me on what is meant when they say triple fermentation. Was thinking that it could'nt be adding more yeast to the wort as once the sugars are fermented thats it. (As far as what my somewhat limited knowledge leads me to believe) So is it adding more sugars etc... after the yeast has started to slow / stop?
Thanks

Some yeasts have lower attenuation than others, so you can add a new yeast after the old one stops to get a drier finish. So it you wanted the fruity character of an english ale yeast but with a dry finish, you might start with an english ale yeast and end with US-05. Or maybe a champagne yeast. Or something. Anyway, it is done at times.

Not sure what triple fermentation is though. Actually, maybe it's the addition of more sugar at the end of the first fermentation, to kick off a new ferment?

I'm interested to know exactly what this means as well. Unibroue claim La Fin Du Monde is triple fermented.

I'm interested to know exactly what this means as well. Unibroue claim La Fin Du Monde is triple fermented.
I read somewhere when researching whether unibroue use a different yeast for bottling as they do for primary that in their particular case "triple fermentation" was as DKS suggests: primary, secondary, bottle, and that they don't use different yeasts at different stages (at least, not for La Fin Du Monde and Maudite, according to my wanderings). But don't quote me on that, whatever you do. It's barely anecdotal evidence.

I also tried a starter from some La Terrible dregs (just as an experiment - it got tipped), just using some LDME and on the kitchen bench (so a warm ferment!). There was some pretty hot fusels coming out of there (to be expected with the method I was using), but behind that was the classic unibroue smell and flavour, leading me to tentatively conclude that they don't use a seperate yeast and that my findigns above were possibly accurate.

Latest posts

Back