Triple Batch Recipe Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kymba

what?
Reaction score
i'm going to be doing a triple batch soon with the intent of having 3 brews with different late hopping combos. these will be for consumption when i'm away 'camping' over the summer holidays.
I was planning to bitter with cascade and then cube the 3 batches. late hop additions will be made prior to fermenting, argon style

what ale yeast would one use for this? i mainly use dried yeast purely for convenience sake, but i wouldn't mind pitching these one after the other on the same cake of a liquid yeast if it will turn out better

base recipe:

Batch Size (L): 70.0
Total Grain (kg): 15.859
Total Hops (g): 140.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.91 %
Colour (SRM): 8.9 (EBC): 17.5
Bitterness (IBU): 31.4 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
9.515 kg Pale Malt (60%)
3.172 kg Vienna (20%)
1.586 kg Wheat Malt (10%)
1.269 kg Carared (8%)
0.317 kg Caraaroma (2%)

Hop Bill
140.0 g Cascade Pellet (5.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (2 g/L)
or should i go 2.6g/l and use the full 2 packs of cascade, would up it to 41IBU

i pulled the following times & rates out my clacker...pls let me know if you have any suggestions

Hop Bill - Batch 1 - mate wants a hop profile reminiscent of mountain goat steam ale (never tasted it myself - yet)
5 mins Citra 2g/l
0 mins Galaxy 2g/l

Hop Bill - Batch 2 - another mate wants the old fat yak
10 min cascade 1g/l
10 min nelson sauvin 1g/l
0 min cascade 1g/l
0 min nelson sauvin 1g/l

Hop Bill - Batch 3 - something to put a dent in my NZ hops
5 min motueka 2g/l
5 min riwaka 2g/l
5 minute nelson sauvin 2g/l

First thought that pops into my head was 1 dry (US05) 1 liquid yeast of American variety like Wyeast-1056, and maybe a English yeast like 1187 - Ringwood Ale.
But I'm just thinking out loud... :p

I think fat yak is 3-1 cascade - nelson sav and is hopped at like 10mins but throwing some in at 0 prob wouldnt hurt :p

cheers guys. just read LRG1's lord nelson recipe thread and there were a few comments about nelson, so might bump them down to 0.3g/l per addition, similar to kelby's suggestion

i will ponder on the yeasts some more

ok, this batch is filtered and i'm on the 3rd schooner

Hop Bill - Batch 3 - something to put a dent in my NZ hops
5 min motueka 2g/l
5 min riwaka 2g/l
5 minute nelson sauvin 2g/l
i actually added 50g of each for a 20L batch

the nelson is punching me in the face...it really reminds me of when you actually get hit in the face you get that taste thing going on in your mouth and sinuses afterwards

no way is this going to last until 14 days after christmas, so i'd better get going on another batch...might up the caraaroma though

i would also use wyeast 1056 american ale. such a good all round versatile yeast.

cheers!! :icon_cheers:

Back