"Tri-tin" RIS Wannabe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tropico

Reaction score
Rather than continue to hijack the other thread (Coopers RIS three can), I though
I'd start a new one on my attempt.

Having tried some "Tucan" Stouts, which I found enjoyable, I did want to try the Coopers recipe 3 can RIS, and also wanted to try their "Irish Stout" kit.

I managed to get 4 fresh cans for both these recipes, however I had used the Dark Ale in an English Brown Ale recipe attempt. So I decided to do a 3 can variation:
1 Irish Stout
1 Stout
1 Lager
1Kg Dex

Yeast was the 3 kit yeasts rehydrated prior to pitching at 18C.

I didn't take on OG reading.

The yeast took off within 6 hours of pitching and within 24 hours fermentation was very fast (temp maintained 18c and there was no thermal runaway).

Fermented @18C for 9 days.
Increased temp to 21C for a further 4 days.

No FG reading (I think this has been discussed enough in the other thread).

Bottled to PET with 1 carb drop.

Like all the brews I bottle to PET, I did the "Avocado" squeeze regularly, to check on how the carbonation was going. The "Avocado squeeze: rock hard, the Avo is not ripe or beer is well carbed, soft the Avo is ripe or the beer has not carbed yet.

After 3 weeks in the PET @20C, all bottles were still quite soft and I was wondering about the minimal apparent carbonation so I decided to sample one to see what was happening.

My impression that I made in the other thread, was that there was minimal carbonation, and it seeemed quite sweet and syrupy, which lead to my comment that maybe the fermentation had stalled in the fermenter.

And so it went that another 3 weeks later, I still had half of the bottle that I had sampled in the fridge, smell and taste did not indicate it had gone off, which gave 1025@18c, checked on the 2 different hydrometers that I have.

Now it is 6 weeks since bottling. all the bottles are still quite soft although 3 or 4 may have a little more pressure than the rest.

......to be continued..... 6 week taste test

ris3.jpg

ris4.jpg

Maybe up end the bottles to bring the yeast back into suspention.

Sometimes using carb drops they go syrupy and cling to the bottom of the bottle.

It may also be wise to give your caps another tighten down with a rubber glove on or similar in case their not quite nipped up ,

Cheers

I will try to be critical and considering it is my own brew, not biased.

In the glass (@13C): it is extremely dark brown, appears black. Small dark tan head which doesn't last. Aroma is low but obvious dark roast (my nose is probably not very good here).

The immediate impression in the mouth is thick and viscous, low but apparent carbonation, and a certain sweetness, although this sweetness dissipates quickly. Other flavours come and go quite quickly, not dark chocolate, not dark roast/espresso coffee but along those lines, maybe some kind of bland dried fruit but not identifiable as one I've eaten before.

It finishes with a moderate dark roasted bitterness and reasonably dry. Definitely starts the saliva at this stage, leaving a very slight anaesthetic numbness in the mouth.

There must be some hops in there, but I couldn't tell.

At no stage is any one thing overpowering, and I cannot say that there is any offensive or unpleasant tastes present.

Obviously high alcohol content.

ris2.jpg

rist.jpg

Unclestewbrew said:
Maybe up end the bottles to bring the yeast back into suspention.

Sometimes using carb drops they go syrupy and cling to the bottom of the bottle.

It may also be wise to give your caps another tighten down with a rubber glove on or similar in case their not quite nipped up ,

Cheers
Thanks, I've done this to one bottle to see what happens.

Back