Treatise Against Balance Of Flavours

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can get various viruses from birds as far as I understand.

Youtube just gives you one.

assuming the woofing or wailing is happening at different times.

but if two dogs woofed at the same time at the same frequency at the same volume you would hear it as one big dog in the middle (this is how a choir (of dogs) works)
unless they woof at very very slightly different times and they phase each other out, in which case you wouldn't hear it at all. not even dogs would hear it.

balance gets tricky after a few beers, especially with all these cats and dogs on seesaws in stereo.
You realise you're suggesting pretty much every vocal, bassline, kick and snare on a modern pop record is mono, right?

Also, your dogs would have to be barking sine waves for your phase example to be possible to be true.

Which ones are the police least likely to pull over for a RBT?
Dunno. But I did read a study today that showed red cars are more likely to be shat on by birds. Green least likely. So if that's important you know what to do.

You realise you're suggesting pretty much every vocal, bassline, kick and snare on a modern pop record is mono, right?

Also, your dogs would have to be barking sine waves for your phase example to be possible to be true.

well no, they're panned (kick isn't usually though). when you pan something all it does is increase the volume on one side or the other. if you have the same two identical sounds stereo at the same volume L & R it is identical to a mono recording. when you hear the same sound in two speakers hard L&R it is accomplished with a very short delay on one of them. (see Queen's "Now I'm Here").

yes you're right about the barking sine waves though, i havent heard a dog phase another dog out. the waveform would be too wonky.

The wealth of knowledge on AHB never ceases to amaze me.
OT, but I'm shopping for a new(ish) (used, or perhaps demo model) car.
Which ones are the police least likely to pull over for a RBT?

Get a taxi. They pretty much drive however they want and with such a vehicle you could stop and pick up chicks if they look hot.

You can get various viruses from birds as far as I understand.

Youtube just gives you one.

In Chinatown where I work there is a big pigeon problem. Connecting Chinatown Mall and Brunswick Street Mall is a pasageway called "Liquorice Lane" where there is a row of open fronted food stalls including Nandos and Subway - and a Turkish Dner Kebab place. A couple of months ago I was walking through the laneway and a workmate was standing in front of the Kebab place and beckoned me over. In the well where they collect the shaved meat that comes off the rotating rolls was a pigeon, squatting there and feasting on the shaved meat. And probably shitting and shedding feathers and bird lice.

The stall was unattended, we couldn't shoo the pigeon who was in avian heaven. Nobody appeared and we had to POQ to log on at the slave pit anyway.

I put in a report to the health guys. The kebab place has closed, but possibly due to the decrease in popularity of dner kebabs as other genres of food have become popular as well recently.

trivia: I know basic Turkish. Dner is not pronounced donor as in blood donor, it is more like derner, coming from the Turkish "Dnmek" - to turn - where the is identical to the German, which is often written OE as in Oettinger. <end trivia>

if you have the same two identical sounds stereo at the same volume L & R it is identical to a mono recording.
Assuming the speakers are placed equidistantly from each respective ear, you're in an anechoic chamber and the sound from each speaker is somehow stopped from passing to the other side of your head (because you can hear sounds from opposite directions even without reflections) then it will probably be perceived as mono by all listeners. Doesn't stop there actually being two signals, but.

Holy shit! Cocko produces music studios!

Examples of analogy being taken slightly too far by nerds exist prior to this post in streams.

'Well, actually..............'

Don't worry, some of my best friends are nerds.

(Ok, so maybe more post-it note length than a treatise).

All the talk I read of balance in flavours, anyone would think there are malt and hop police cruising around taking measurements. I don't drink beer for balance. It is not even a desirable characteristic in every beer for me.

A balanced beer can be nice, but balance is also boring. Think of a blended whisky vs a single malt. Or a coffee 'house blend' espresso vs a single origin espresso.

Balance for me is enjoying multiple styles of beer. Hop flavours, malt flavours, yeasty phenolic flavours, dry mouth puckering sour flavours, etc.

- - - -

Anyone else think this way?
I think I agree. The main problem would appear to be with the term balance as in "there was enough malt to balance the hops". I take this to mean that the beer has sufficient body to offset the astringency of the hops. But I could be wrong. It could mean that the malts adds sufficient sweetness to balance the bitterness of the hops. Or it could be that malt and hops are present in sufficient proportions to balance each other, a somewhat recursive definition. Basically I think it's a term that doesn't have a clear definition and so I agree that it's largely inappropriate for flavourful beer.
Whoops sorry, I replied before I saw that the thread had gone stupidly off topic. Carry on .... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Whoops sorry, I replied before I saw that the thread had gone stupidly off topic. Carry on .... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
1 - Why would that stop you from contributing to the OP? That's moronic.

2 - Why would you think your contribution so important and original that you'd give it without reading the entire thread?

You had a problem with open bums all day? Not What I heard (Cocko does talk so!).

Very much so but I'm not certain it is entirely his fault. They way people talk about balance is often more aligned OP's viewpoint than the more correct one you put forward.

I've lost count of the number of times I've read knowledgeable brewers (and often comp judges) here who discount entire styles as being "unbalanced". No, you just don't like or understand them.

Bum nailed it. It's people talking about balance as though there are specific ratios of elements that create a perfect beer. BU:GU ratios and the like.

I think using the word balance to describe accurately hitting a style is a misnomer too.

I'm off to work listening to the silence of two dogs canceling each other out after reversing the polarity of one earphone. Feel fr to tell me why this isn't working.

Examples of analogy being taken slightly too far by nerds exist prior to this post in streams.

'Well, actually..............'

Don't worry, some of my best friends are nerds.

There's lots of beer nerds here - and we get caught up on nerdy beery details. And, no, being a beer nerd is no more cool than being a computer nerd.

Actually, I'm noticing that there is a high proportion of traditional computer-nerd types that appear to brew. Must be something about brewing that tickles the same fancy as the more traditional nerdery.

I got our IT guy here into BIAB, and he loves it, we have what appears to be a high proportion of programmers, linux users and anti-apple peoples. After all, this forum has, I believe, spawned a couple of highly macroed spreadsheets, brew mate and there was a discussion about whether mono can replicate the .NET framework adequate in Linux (no, it doesn't), which became a 'do you want a career in coding?' discussion.

Now, let's see if someone breaks out their commodore64 to program a BASIC version of brewmate..... Old school.

This sobriety thing is harder than I imagined.

Holy shit! Cocko produces music studios!
Yeah I built some for my house but after a while the house gets full of them and then they just clutter it up. The missus was getting cranky about having to dust around them. Then I was just building them for the fun of it and giving them away. My relatives got sick of receiving music studios for Christmases and Birthdays and "Oh no, not another music studio" was becoming a far too often heard phrase. I am trying to reinvigorate the gifting of them and thus am currently working on a pocket sized music studio. I have made them all different colours but might try some glitter on the pocket music studio to give them a little pizzazz.

And I thought I was weird... I guess dressing up in tights and making medieval booze isnt that bad then :p

Latest posts

Back