Transporting Wort After Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr Hops

Reaction score
Hello,

I am wanting to do an AG brew at a location and then ferment elsewhere where we have sufficient space/storage for a fermentation chest freezer.

Would driving the unfermented wort in a 60L fermenter pose any risk to the end beer? The approximate distance would be 80-100kms on freeways.

Thanks in advance

I would no chill and do it in 2-3 cubes :)

But if you have a way to secure the fermenter and are certain it's not gonna leak, yeah 60-90 mins won't really hurt it. If it ain't gonna spill no reason you couldn't pitch yeast before you move it anyway.

I wouldn't personally do it because I'd be worried about it spilling, I'd go the cubes...

Dr Hops said:
Hello,

I am wanting to do an AG brew at a location and then ferment elsewhere where we have sufficient space/storage for a fermentation chest freezer.

Would driving the unfermented wort in a 60L fermenter pose any risk to the end beer? The approximate distance would be 80-100kms on freeways.

Thanks in advance
As long as the vessel in which the wort is transported is clean it will have no effect at all.

We ship literally millions of litres of grape juice interstate every year with no ill effects*.

* Apart from the freight bill. >100 B doubles x almost 1000 km adds up fast.

My local home brew shop sells unfermented wort in plastic drums, they must have had it shipped in from somewhere... as long as the vessels are clean and secure should be fine.

Cube X Cube that bitch.
But keep within the speed limit, freeway or no freeway.

Great aeration if it sticks it's tongue out and hangs head out the window.

dog-loves-sticking-head-out-of-car-window.jpg

Back