Transportation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gormand

Reaction score
Im heading over to the other side of the country and was hoping to take some of my home brew with me for people (and me) to drink while I am over there. However as someone pointed out the low pressure of an aircraft cargo hold may not be ideal for glass bottles.

Anyone know if its safe to take them over? Is there actually a chance of them turning into bottle bombs? Its not an overly carbonated stout so my gut feeling is the rist is low, but first hand info would be welcome.

How many beers are we talking about? I took almost a carton as carry on last time I flew.

They let you take a slab on a plane? :blink: Faarrk I'd be legless by the time I got to the other side of Aus

I flew back from the Gold Coast a few years back with a small suitcase full of bottles from breweries I had visited up there as my carry on. They were wrapped in bubble wrap and the suitcase was padlocked.

Only issue I had was at airport security as they were a touch confused by the xray image. I simply opened up the suitcase, showed them what was inside and it was all good.

AFAIK they have now relaxed the rule forbidding liquids in the cabin (anthrax powder was always allowed) so you shouldn't have much trouble depending on how much hand luggage you are allowed.

I am only looking to take 4-6 bottles across and was hoping to put them in checked luggage (Well wrapped up and secure) not in hand luggage. Every website (Both for the airline and airport) show the restrictions are still in place.
I might give them a call to double check though.

But what do people think that the bottle would survive in checked in? Or will the low pressure spread my beer through my suitcase?

I brought a bottle of barleywine back from the states in my checked luggage without any drama. Bubble wrapped and in the middle of the bag surrounded by clothes. So, I can't see any problem.

Pretty sure the restrictions on liquids are/were for international flights cabin baggage only. I have brought beer and saki from NZ and Japan in checked luggage within the last 2 years no problems at all, just make sure it is well protected. Last month I bought a backpack full of bottled beer on a flight from Brisbane to Proserpine as carry-on luggage, again no problems at all, no questions when scanned at security check-in. If you're only flying domestic you should have no problems at all.

Mid last year my girlfriend and i left our favourite watering hole at 6.30am, and went back to her place to pack...I found myself in such a state that i guess i decided i need some travlers for the trip...Long story short, sobered up at midday in QLD and unpacked to find about half a case of stubbies in my check suitcase completely intact.

I think they will travel fine underneath the plane.

Back