Transferring Heavily Hopped To Secondary

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonydav

Reaction score
I recently made a TCB APA Wetpack. It's very heavily hopped and when I came to transfer it to the secondary I found my usual method of just attaching a pipe to the tap on the fermenter didn't work very well. It clogged a lot and I ended up leaving at least 2-3L of the hoppy goodness behind (which is really biting now as I'm reaching the end of the keg).

I'm looking to do another batch in the next few weeks and was wondering how I can transfer the brew to a secondary without these issues?

(FWIW I really liked this drop although a lot of my pissweak Aust beer drinking mates found it "really bitter". Such is life, I'll have to let them drink one of my regular swills :))

tony

tonydav said:
I recently made a TCB APA Wetpack. It's very heavily hopped and when I came to transfer it to the secondary I found my usual method of just attaching a pipe to the tap on the fermenter didn't work very well. It clogged a lot and I ended up leaving at least 2-3L of the hoppy goodness behind (which is really biting now as I'm reaching the end of the keg).

I'm looking to do another batch in the next few weeks and was wondering how I can transfer the brew to a secondary without these issues?

(FWIW I really liked this drop although a lot of my pissweak Aust beer drinking mates found it "really bitter". Such is life, I'll have to let them drink one of my regular swills :))

tony
[post="107280"][/post]​

Tony,

Invest in a racking cane - they are not expensive & will solve your problem...

wouldn't be without mine...

cheers Ross

Where do I find such a beastie? Had a look on the country brewer website and no-go.

tony

Now missing putting that info in is just plain embarrassing :blink: . Duely amended.

Tony,

by chance I got an auto-siphon this week, which will also work a treat. Got it from Gerard at Northern Districts Brewing Supplies. I'm sure if you give him a ring he'll sort one out for you. Other than that, Country Brewer may be able to get you one if you ask them.

:beer:

Back