Transferring Beer From Secondary To Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBird

Reaction score
Hi

Was in a hurry a couple of weeks ago when transferring beer from primary to lagering cube when I realised I hadn't replaced the bung with a tap. So rather than go through another transfer, I just put the cube in the fridge to lager.

However now I want to transfer the beer from the cube to a keg and not having a tap to control the flow, I was wondering what people have done in the past in this situation.

I'm hesitant to use the old gob over the end of a siphoning hose to get it siphoning because of infection concerns. I was thinking maybe lay the cube on its side so that that the bug is facing upwards and replace the bung with a tap but that would leave the beer exposed to the elements even if for a short while.

Any suggestions welcome

Cheers

I say lay it on it's side and pop the bung out and replace with a tap. Although this will undo any settling that has occurred doing the lagering process.

I use the same method to transfer from my NC cubes to fermenters and I've never had an issue.

Hi

Was in a hurry a couple of weeks ago when transferring beer from primary to lagering cube when I realised I hadn't replaced the bung with a tap. So rather than go through another transfer, I just put the cube in the fridge to lager.

However now I want to transfer the beer from the cube to a keg and not having a tap to control the flow, I was wondering what people have done in the past in this situation.

I'm hesitant to use the old gob over the end of a siphoning hose to get it siphoning because of infection concerns. I was thinking maybe lay the cube on its side so that that the bug is facing upwards and replace the bung with a tap but that would leave the beer exposed to the elements even if for a short while.

Any suggestions welcome

Cheers

Several ways to syphon without putting your gob on the tube.
1) put another tube on the tube, suck through that and pull it off when you get the syphon started.
2) sanitize hands, put syphon tube almost completely into the cube, place thumb over end of tube, pull tube out and below the level of the liquid at the top of the cube and release thumb, syphoning should start.

I hace a little piece of plastic from bunnings that i insert into the end of the siphon to suck on, then pull it out once its going.

Another way is to fill the siphon hose full of sanitiser, empty some from the end you want to put in the liquid (by holding it higher then the other end) then dip this end in the liquid and hold the siphon down. I siphon the sanitiser bit into a bucket and then once its beer it goes into whereever i'm siphoning to.

Grab one of these silicone gun nozzles for nix from the hardware store, sanitise, and push the small end into your tube, suck until beer gets close and discard nozzle, the push hose into keg.

Or follow advise from phoneyhuh, can't beat that :lol:

or you can sanitise your hands fill tube with water plug one end with your thumb put the other end in the wort release thumb and watch the wort flow you may dilute it by 100ml but if your adding finning your doing that anyway

Thanks Brewers

Some quite useful suggestions there on transferring beer. I thought I might have a go at siphoning using the "fill the hose with water" method.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back