Toucan Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjp

Reaction score
Went thru my kit yesterday and decided it was time to clean up. I've got 2 CPA kits, a Coopers English Bitter ,1.5 kg ldme,1kg dex,50g Goldings, shitloads of Motoeka. As well as Crystal. Was thinking of doing both CPA's with a 5 litre boil of (no kit in boil) 300g crystal,steeped and sparged to 1.8l(inclusive to total boil vol),500g ldme + 100g dex with 10g goldings at 5 min and 10g goldings at flameout, then adding both kit goo's and stirring before crash cooling,and topping in fermenter to 25l,Pitching re cultured commercial CPA yeast and fermenting at 19c.-----Is my boil too short(thought there is enough bitterness in 2 kit goo's) Love goldings flavour and aroma,-is there a place for my Motoeka flower in this? Would love to hear your thoughts. As it is I will put this down on Saturday.

Sounds like my kind of a toucan. Should have plenty bitterness from the cans I think they use POR in the Pale Ale.
I would up your Goldings to 20 +20g if you are after the flavour maybe 30 mins and 10 mins might come out more like an IPA needing a bit longer in the bottle for the hops to smooth off. Not very sure how Goldings and POR go together so it might be a suck it and see. ;)

i'd be interested to hear the results from something simple like:

both cans of cpa
definitely use the bottled yeast
moteuka up to maybe 30IBU's
ferment at around 18/19 any higher and you'll get banana flavours on a pretty big scale....

CPA is not an overly bitter beer to me (i think it's 27 IBU's actually). I get a big florally thing going on, but to me not much bitterness.

Moteuka (B Saaz) is one of my all time favourite hops. I haven't used it by itself though which is probably where my interest would lie in this simple suggestion.
I can tell you it works wonderfully with Cascade (Tony's LCBA recipe is a great example of this)

I know by some of the other ingredients you have on hand, you are not necessarily trying to make a pale ale, but it's a nice simple beer that won't take much effort to put down.

i'd be interested to hear the results from something simple like:

both cans of cpa
definitely use the bottled yeast
moteuka up to maybe 30IBU's
ferment at around 18/19 any higher and you'll get banana flavours on a pretty big scale....

CPA is not an overly bitter beer to me (i think it's 27 IBU's actually). I get a big florally thing going on, but to me not much bitterness.

Moteuka (B Saaz) is one of my all time favourite hops. I haven't used it by itself though which is probably where my interest would lie in this simple suggestion.
I can tell you it works wonderfully with Cascade (Tony's LCBA recipe is a great example of this)

I know by some of the other ingredients you have on hand, you are not necessarily trying to make a pale ale, but it's a nice simple beer that won't take much effort to put down.
Wanted something with bugger all effort but a good drink- Might play with the motueka this time and save the goldings for later.What do you suggest for amounts and boil time-My motueka is flower and am used to pellets>

Definately POR in the Pale Ale. Whack a bucketload of Motueka at Flameout or dry hop and have the big whiff of Aroma overlaying the POR bitterness.

I love Goldings, but I reckon you won't notice them as much in a CPA toucan as you will Moteuka.

If you can get hold of some Rye, then put that in to complement the spiciness of the POR.

Goomba

Definately POR in the Pale Ale. Whack a bucketload of Motueka at Flameout or dry hop and have the big whiff of Aroma overlaying the POR bitterness.

I love Goldings, but I reckon you won't notice them as much in a CPA toucan as you will Moteuka.

If you can get hold of some Rye, then put that in to complement the spiciness of the POR.

Goomba
Never used rye-how much and when to add?What does it give to the finished product?Will probably keep this one simple and just use 2 cpa's + crystal and ldme and dex-Have decided 2 use motueka 20g@15 mins and 30g @flameout.tgotal boil of 20 mins with dry fermentables + 5 min flameout hop addition b4 adding toucan and crash cooling.Hope it works-looks really easy and if works will prob make a few of these-Got the cpa's at $10 ea @ kmart,My lhbs charges $18-Bought 4 more 2day-thats all they had.

Never used rye-how much and when to add?What does it give to the finished product?Will probably keep this one simple and just use 2 cpa's + crystal and ldme and dex-Have decided 2 use motueka 20g@15 mins and 30g @flameout.tgotal boil of 20 mins with dry fermentables + 5 min flameout hop addition b4 adding toucan and crash cooling.Hope it works-looks really easy and if works will prob make a few of these-Got the cpa's at $10 ea @ kmart,My lhbs charges $18-Bought 4 more 2day-thats all they had.

About 250g of Rye. Soak in about 2L of water that has been heated to 70 degrees for about an hour (if possible insulate the vessel in which you soak it). It will add a slight spicy caramelness to the brew, without dominating the brew. It'll balance out the hops. Beer making is all about balance.

About 250g of Rye. Soak in about 2L of water that has been heated to 70 degrees for about an hour (if possible insulate the vessel in which you soak it). It will add a slight spicy caramelness to the brew, without dominating the brew. It'll balance out the hops. Beer making is all about balance.
will get up to my lhbs on sat & see if they have any rye-Am going to do a mini mash with the crystal any way, so should I up the volume and add rye as well or steep in seperate containers and add both to boil?

will get up to my lhbs on sat & see if they have any rye-Am going to do a mini mash with the crystal any way, so should I up the volume and add rye as well or steep in seperate containers and add both to boil?

If they are both 'steepable' may as well do them together good practice to do mini mash for steeping grains get ready for all grain. I am not sure whether I do the right thing with steeping as I rinse the grain bag (sparging ?) and then squeeze as much liquid out of the grain as I can. Seems the grain bag holds a hell of a lot of wasted liquid otherwise.

Back