Toucan Coopers Real Ale and Woolies Homebrand Can experiment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi Guys - Trying a toucan experiment as titled and resisted adding any LDM (thank goodness). Ambient temp 21/22 at moment so I think the yeast is loving this. :) I only used one yeast from Coopers Real Ale can yeast (New Release). (The experiment is to see if I can use homebrand as a LME)

The 'problem' is the Krausen is huge - see pictures - I had to remove twice this am, it built up in 10 minutes.

The issue was that it blew all the water out the airlock and I am not sure how long it was like that... (pitched last night 7pm, at 7 am I checked).

- I assume that as the CO2 is blowing out so outside air could not flow in?

- And the Krausen should protect the wort from the air anyway - there is enough and full coverage :) ?

- I was also wondering if I could even leave the lid for a while...? Could the wort get contaminated?

I rigged a pipe of the airlock to glass airlock...still going through that whole pipe, has anyone seen a Krausen like this?

It is still pumping massive CO2 through glass airlock, without a break. I have never seen some much gas....unreal..

Thanks

IMG_0603.JPG

IMG_0604.JPG

IMG_0609.JPG

i had something like this once a long time ago when i tried brewing with honey, turned out i had added way too much and my brewing temp was a little too high, it just went berserk all over my laundry floor.

How much head space do you have in that fermenter though? when i do a pretty high gravity 23ltr brew in my 30ltr fermenter the krausen will almost reaches the top maybe an 1 1/2" or 1" if i've aerated it will. Maybe it's the type of yeast Coopers are using in their new kits? dunno...what's your gut tell you?

Thanks Brewsta....

I would need a fermenter the size of Sydney tower for head space... :)... I had the normal 22 litre mark in 30 litre.

Strange thing is that I made a similar recipe with pale ale and use BE2, and not nearly the same....

I guess Real Ale is different or yeast is extremely active (and happy with double amount malts/sugars)..

cheers

Put the lid back on.
Use more yeast next time.
Everything else is fine. Clean, spray sanitiser, make beer.

I'm currently doing a Toucan using Coopers Real Ale and a Woolies Homebrand Lager Kit. I only add 500g of Dex to make it mid strength. I used S-04 Yeast and I'm Fermenting at 16.5c. And it foamed up a lot but it didn't come out the Air Lock. I dry hopped with Fuggles on day 4.

it'll be interesting to see what your FG ends up like? maybe there was some stray yeast somewhere that got into your brew? good work on the blow off tube, maybe it'll slow down in a couple of days? let us know how you get on, i'd be interested to see what gives.

Hi Guys. I think the yeast thought it was Christmas... all those sugars and went crazy.... slowed right down and krausen virtually gone...
@KAB I would be interested in how yours goes..

I have about 2o grams of hops left... I might chuck in to just give a hint in a few days....

MY SG was about 1045 - what was yours .... I would not say mine will be light if I get to 1010?

cheers

BTW - to seal the tube and top of airlock...(it was pretty tight but wanted to make sure) I used some plumbers tape...perfect...quite sticky and makes good seal (2 layers)..

But unwraps easy....no sticky glue to take off...
Plumbers tape is normally used to put on screw threads to make sure of a seal if leaky..
cheers

I just tried a bottle and it is very sweet. I hope it improves with another couple of weeks on it.

Ended up to quite a good drop :) KAB how did you go with yours..?

Trustyrusty said:
Ended up to quite a good drop :) KAB how did you go with yours..?
Yeah mine is very sweet so I will try it again in a few weeks.

1.005 and still very sweet? Maybe check your hydrometer? I cant imagine anything that low could possibly be sweet unless you added Stevia or some other horrible shit.

Mine was 1010.... not a bad beer..not sweet... I think if I had some hops (not sure what type) I have some cascade, armarillo and gallaxy on the way....
Would it be too late to add some dry hops for 2 or 3 days in the keg? I think armarillo might go well with it. One thing it is not bitter, I think that Coopers must have dropped the POR. This is can of the new "real ale"....cheers

Latest posts

Back