Toucan Cider?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will try a "onecan" batch of 11L or so- just have to bottle my current beer then I will get it going. I'm hoping for a slightly less fermentable cider than juice only. I will report back on the results.

Alf

Edit: results will depend on how the kit is made too- it might be dehydrated cider wort or just general purpose apple concentrate.

I will pitch this onecan cider in the morning when it cools down.

Ingredients are:
1 x blackrock cider kit
1 x kit yeast
water
SG around 1.036 (aiming for around 5% alcohol and expecting FG will be very low. Total volume is around 11.5L- maybe a fraction too much water)
Will ferment with temp control @ 20C, crash cool, bulk prime and bottle.

When taking a hydrometer sample from the diluted kit I had a taste- it seems different from supermarket apple juice. I didn't do a side by side but it seems more like cider than normal juice. Will have to wait and see.

I plan to bulk prime and bottle half, then add some lactose to the remaining half before bottling to try this out.

I also tried a friends cider recently- he used some brown sugar with a kit which gave it a little color and maybe a fraction or sweetness- but it was late in the day for careful tasting.

Alf

I plan to bulk prime and bottle half, then add some lactose to the remaining half before bottling to try this out.

This is an excellent idea. Will give you a really good indication on how to tailor your next one to your liking.

Good luck with it.

I bottled the "onecan" cider yesterday. FG was a very low 1.000! I bottled half as is and half with lactose at 13g/L. I came to this rate after trying different amounts in water and tasting to see what would be the lowest amount I could taste then increased it a fraction. Tasting fairly dry ATM but will have to wait and see how it comes out.

Alf

Back