Top Cropping Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfeighan

Reaction score
i thought i would share with you how much krausen is on top of my wheat beer, based on Schneider Style Weisse , except i think i used pro-18 (or pro-45 my record taking skills on stored yeast should be a bit more than lager,wheat,ale :p) link
this is within 36 hrs of pitching yeast, i am glad i didn't make a 3 keg batch, the bugger would have overflowed
DSC00839.JPG

fermenting @ 18 deg, very soft clove aroma coming out, no harsh phenols
i probably should have taken a little more note when my starter overflowed even with the stir plate on full ball
starter2.jpg

Yeah nice, but just wait till you see a real top cropped 1469 climbing out the top of the fermenter within a day, man does it go beserk! :p Bet you're glad for some headspace in that one though! :icon_cheers:

1469 hey, wonder what the proculture version is.... i have tried pro 103,and pro 104, both had a big head but only like 5-10L in a double batch, i wonder is it because the wheat beer has more head retention than my other brews

1469 hey, wonder what the proculture version is.... i have tried pro 103,and pro 104, both had a big head but only like 5-10L in a double batch, i wonder is it because the wheat beer has more head retention than my other brews
I've heard that Wy1469 is very, very, very similar to the Proculture Wood Ale strain, whatever number that is. ;)

Dunno about head retention and a massive krausen though, some of my latest efforts have been buggered up by foolish protein rests (decoction experiments), so no head retention at all, but behaved no different in the fermenter. For ales at least, I reckon the two would be tenuously linked at best but I'd gladly stand corrected though- wheats are way out of my league. :icon_cheers:

Back