Top 5 Albums Of The Decade

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a weird music listener (I think?) in the way that I'll grab a bunch of albums, listen to them until I'm bored, then put them at the bottom of the pile and start again, usually to come back to them later. I tend to do the same with hobbies and life aspirations (that one's the most fun to tackle).

I guess these are a few classics that either changed my focus, or that I always come back to:

Opeth - Blackwater Park
Avantasia - The Metal Opera
The 12th Man - The Final Dig? (and the others... but we're looking 2000s)
A Perfect Circle - Mer de Noms
Korpiklaani - Tales along this Road

All from early in the decade... but you can't call an album that was just released a classic, can you?

I'm all over the shop, but these five albums are still in heavy rotation

In Rainbows - Radiohead
The Eraser - Thom Yorke
@#%&*! Smilers - Aimee Mann
Lost Souls - Doves
Three - John Butler Trio

There were no good albums released in the Noughties, all good music was written prior to 1995.

Now, get off my lawn, damn kids...

;)

Gorillaz - Gorillaz (2001)
Dj Shadow - The Private Press (2002)
Black Grass - Black Grass (2004)
Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand (2004)
Architecture in Helsinki - Places Like This (2007)

I sense a theme... Mentions for Sufjan Stevens and The White Stripes.

The Killers - Hot Fuss (2004)
Garbage - Beautiful Garbage (2001)
Kosheen - Resist (2001)
Eels - Daisies of the Galaxy (2000)
PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea (2000) <--- a duet with Thom Yorke. Nuff said.

Honourable mentions go to:

Zero 7 - Simple Things (2001) <--- great debut album
Air - Talkie Walkie (2004) <--- Cherry Blossom Girl, what a track
Radiohead - In Rainbows (2007) <--- It's no OK Computer, but it's the best thing since
Panjabi MC - Beware (2003)
Silverchair - Diorama (2002)
Lily Allen - It's Not Me, It's You (2009)

one more vote for in rainbows - incredible album
panda bear- person pitch
pj Harvey - white chalk
Scott walker - the drift
the books - thought for food

also perhaps Tom waits alice/blood money

in general the noughties has been a retreat! grunge and noise and electronics of 90s was much more challenging music, now replaced by boring 4/4 chugging music like the strokes and heart on sleeve whining with acoustic instruments like Joanna newsom and devendra banhart. some progress being made in crazy diy GarageBand cutups a la animal collective etc though

4. Sigh No More - Mumford and Sons (Highlight: The Cave)

Cheers - Snow.

I can't be bothered thinking about my favourite albums for the decade but I love this album.
High rotation whenever I get hold of the stereo...
Definitely now placed on my very shortlist of brewday albums...

Actually, even as I type I can name a few
Youth and Young Manhood - Kings of Leon (I love the first two albums. I kind of stopped listening around the time you could easily understand the words :)...)
The Fratellis - Costello Music
Sigh No More - Mumford and Sons
The Cat Empire - The Cat Empire

Struggling to think beyond that though. I'm guilty of keeping a list of around 10 albums on high rotation, and not tending to do much beyond that...

Devin Townsend - Terria
The Berzerker - Dissumulate
Hypocrisy - Virus
Dreadnaught - Down to Zero
Gospel of the Horns - Realm of the Damned

Avantasia - The Metal Opera
Awesome Adam! I'll be seeing Edguy on NY day

A few I've listened to a lot

Angra - Temple of Shadows
Arsis
The Black Dahlia Murder
Anthem - Immortal
Stockard Stoics

Also agree with MB's MG call

I can't believe how much thought I've given to this topic today.... especially as we have 12 months left in the decade.
However:
1 Turbonegro- Scandinavian Leather..............ResErection of the kings of deathpunk
2 Propagandhi-Today's Empires Tomorrows Ashes.............Enter the Rod
3 The Bronx- ST (the first one).............I think my ears are still on the floor of the Zoo.
4 Zeke- 'Til the Living End..............May they one day make another record.
5 Brutal Truth-Evolution through Revolution...............I wish my ears were still on the floor of the Hi-Fi

If I managed to get my hands on Poison Idea's Latest Will and Testament(three years and still trying), Zeke would probably get bumped.

Ooohhh, and bum's call on Hot Snakes. Stoked I got to see Speedo doing his RFTC thing sometime in the last ten (nine) years. Still burning about missing Hot Snakes.

Youth and Young Manhood - Kings of Leon (I love the first two albums. I kind of stopped listening around the time you could easily understand the words :)...)

Me too :D

But the last 2 have a few toe tappers still

I can't believe how much thought I've given to this topic today.... especially as we have 12 months left in the decade.
However:
1 Turbonegro- Scandinavian Leather..............ResErection of the kings of deathpunk
2 Propagandhi-Today's Empires Tomorrows Ashes.............Enter the Rod
3 The Bronx- ST (the first one).............I think my ears are still on the floor of the Zoo.
4 Zeke- 'Til the Living End..............May they one day make another record.
5 Brutal Truth-Evolution through Revolution...............I wish my ears were still on the floor of the Hi-Fi

If I managed to get my hands on Poison Idea's Latest Will and Testament(three years and still trying), Zeke would probably get bumped.
How was Brutal Truth? I heard the turnout wasn't the best. I had my work xmas party that night at the greek club and was gonna stroll down but we finished up at midnight or so.

How was Brutal Truth? I heard the turnout wasn't the best. I had my work xmas party that night at the greek club and was gonna stroll down but we finished up at midnight or so.
Nah, didn't make it either, had a 30th at the German club and didn't have it in me to go to that after (wishing my ears were still there). That album though....... man.

I have no idea really but here is a quick maybe:

Deltron 3030
Braintax - Biro Funk
Dirty Three - She Has No Strings Apollo
Roots Manuva - Run Come Save Me (& Dub Come Save Me)
Prowla - Lonewolf

All the rock I have listened to over the decade seems to be <1999.

Karnivool - Themata
PJ Harvey - Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea
Gorillaz - Gorillaz
Kings of Leon - Youth and Young Manhood
Pendulum - Hold your colour (awesome album when your bumping in an array ;))

Me too :D

But the last 2 have a few toe tappers still

Maybe. But particularly the last album I find little to differentiate them between any other US soft rock whatever genre it is, Nickelback style, except that he's still a better singer than many.

Then again maybe it's just because I like the first couple so much...
I hate being in the position of saying I was into them before they were cool but there you are...

Pretty hard to pick just five, I thought a few people would have listed tool or even system of a down, not that I would but I would rather listen to them then most of the albums from this decade.

Mastodon are by far the band of the decade, of the top of my head heres ten albums that I have played to death.

Mastodon - blood mountain
Mastodon - leviathan
Mastodon - crack the skye
Machine head - blackening
Metalica - Death magnetic
Alice in chains - black gives way to blue
Lamb of god - ashes of the wake
inflames - reroute to remain
megadeth - united abominations
Iron Maiden - Matter of life or death

special mention goes to every song played on commercial radio, I'd rather sleep with susan boyle then have to listen to any of that crap again.

Metal is, and will be forever, alive and well.

Metal is, and will be forever, alive and well.

WARNING: The clip contains scenes that might be distressing to some brewers...

Some beer does get wasted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about albums...but my 5 hot faviourate bands/acts of this decade:

- John Butler Trio
- The Cat Empire
- Carus
- Powederfinger
- hmmm this is a hard one...maybe Blue King Brown.

For me,....

Hate JBT for his left wing twatty polictic but respect his musicianshianship. Great performance.

Cat empire (TWAT empire?) why stop performance to speak to a crowd in hebrew? Was it just to define yourselves as different to those who didn't speak that tounge????) Is this Australia????

Oi Oi Oi???

Latest posts

Back