Toothpaste Flavours

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebba

Reaction score
Had a few of my latest batch, and last night I figured out what it was that just wasn't quite right about it - there is a slight "toothpaste" style aftertase. Not "minty", more "chalky".

The recipie was:
- Cascade lager kit, boiled for 30 mins to get rid of the flavour (pre-bittered base)
- 750g LDME
- 300g Dex
- 250g crystal malt, steeped @ 65 for 30mins

To the steeping liquid, I then brought to boil and added
- 7g of willamette + 7g of amarillo @ 15 mins
- 7g of willamette + 7g of amarillo @ flameout

S-04

I also fined with gelatin after 2 weeks, and bottled @ 3

I'm pretty sure it's the crystal malt that is adding the dodgy flavour. Could it be cause I didn't boil the steep liquid for very long - i.e. only 15 mins? If not, what could it be?

FTR, it's an good drop other then the chalky taste - and that is something you need to be looking for. Very happy with the hop flavour from the mix of amarillo and wilamette. It's close to be awesome, just that one aspect lets it down.

Tips appreciated.

How long have they been in the bottle for? I think I know the flavour you mean.... It goes away with a bit of age. Give it a couple of weeks.

How long have they been in the bottle for? I think I know the flavour you mean.... It goes away with a bit of age. Give it a couple of weeks.
3 weeks. Yes, I'm impatient :)

Thanks

Another 3 weeks and all should be good..... In the meantime have a beer.
But I want this beer!

;)

Thanks for the tip. As long as it's not something in the process that I need to correct, then that's all I'm concerned with. :)

Back