"tooheys Style" Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OSF

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Apologies if this has been discussed here before.

I am looking to build my brewery and wanted any opinions on how good the tall and skinny "Tooheys Style" kegs are for conversion to a kettle etc (as opposed to shorter and fatter kegs or other SS pots).

Obviously these kegs are cheaper than quality SS pots, but being relatively tall and skinny does this cause any issues with the actual brewing? OR What are the associated pros and cons?

i.e. If I go to all of the effort of getting and converting this kind of keg, would I then still ultimately end up thinking I should have just saved up a bit longer and bought some quality SS pots.

Any tips/comments appreciated.

Cheers
OSF

A "legally" obtained tooheys style keg is fine

Cut as big a hole in the top as you can to help with boil off / cleaning etc

You can just squeeze a double batch in

Obviously purchased pots either aluminum or SS can be had in larger sizes

Cheers

I was hoping somebody might lend me some advice. I am converting this thinner style keg for BIAB and am wondering if I should cut a hole in the top or cut from the side, leaving the existing handles.

I know people like to cut from the top to preserve the integrity of the keg and for ease of adding a lid, but I am concerned about the difficulty of removing a bag full of wet grain through such a small opening. I can't even fit my lid from the 19 litre big W pots in between the handles and I know the bag sat pretty snug when full inside those pots.

Does anybody else use one of these for BIAB and if so do you have trouble with snags?

Latest posts

Back