Tooheys Red Recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, but looking at those kits I've made some bad beers with them in the past.
I think I'll go down the AG path or at least partial. Anyone got anywhere to start?

Just take 5kg of cheap base malt, mash it at 65 throw in some hops (POR if you must) at the start and at the end and you'll have a cheap beer which is a thousand times better than tooheys red.

Skip the POR cause its too good for that reciepe and just go some cheap isohop extract
Infact drop the grain bill down to 2.5kilos and go 2kilos of dex or converted sugar

maybe a tiny bit of (Maybe 3 or 4 grains) of medium crystal for color :p

Seriously though give DKs links a go as i think youll find em as close as your gonna get but far better as your taste buds accustom to the flavours.. and thats when the real world of HB will open up for you
Also gratz on wanting to give AG a go

Tom

Thanks guys, but looking at those kits I've made some bad beers with them in the past.
I think I'll go down the AG path or at least partial. Anyone got anywhere to start?
I would have thought that if you made bad beer with those kits, you would find them a good place to start for a Toohey's Red. :lol:

As others have recounted, I have also had a disgusting beer headache from this so-called Red Tooheys.

Jokes aside, you prob could start with one of those kits, but you will need to ferment cold with a real lager yeast. that will be the biggest trick to this beer, and it's no biggie. Would recommend W34/70 as a dry yeast, or any neutral liquid lager, such as an American pils yeast. Oh, and plain white sugar to lower the body, unless the kit already has included it in the tin?

Good onya for wanting to have a go. Most people here respect that, but just have no respect for your starting point. There are better beers out there and you will realise that as you continue to brew.
The scariest part with learning about beer flavours is, initially, the money that it costs for good beer. Good beer usually cots more. Unfortunately, sometimes expensive beer is just as big a dud as well: the new (?) dumbed-down Fat Yak I drank in Bathurst, for example.

Best of luck with your project. When I started brewing, I had no "goal" beer, but eventually started to chase a Redback-style. That may lose me some respect, but to all those who have that attitude, I ask when you last tasted Redback and if you like wheat beer anyway.

Brew Hard!
Les out

I read this post today at work and didnt really have time to post the reply i wanted. I initially thought..... oh your joking, because im a bit of a beer snob these days but i also remembered back to when i started brewing.

I was a Tooheys new boy and aols liked Tooheys Old. I knew nothing about the beers or styles outside what was on tap at the pub! I started brewing cause i was saving for a house and thought i could do it cheaper. When i tried my first effort i wasnt impressed and me being me...... looked for ways to make it better, as most of us on here have. I then found the old Grumpys Fourmm then here and the rest is history.

After taking out a state championships and Gold at Aus national level.... i recon ive come a long way from the tooheys new i used to love, as, again, most of us on here have.

NOw i still go to the club abd enjoy a tooheys old now and then but i do like returning home to my beer and going......... Ohhhhhhh thats better :)

So i guess im a beer snob and im not, because i will say, start trying to make something familiar, but i will also say the worst hangovers i ever had were from Tooheys red and i wont touch the stuff ever again.

If your brewing AG...... better beer can be made easily.

For a start i would make a beer with 100% pils at 65 deg, 1.046, bitter it to 27 ibu with POR and ferment out with US-05. You wont go back to Red i can assure you. It wont be axact but wou will smile when you drink it.

So it shouldn't be a surprise that new brewers join here with the idea of copying something they already drink,
at least they know it's drinkable and they like it. The route to home brewing is always going to be
"How do I make this or that"

When I started brewing my 'dream' was to make my own Coopers Sparkling Ale. After 4 years on this site
I now would rate the commercial beer as about 4/10 on my personal beer scale. I have been introduced to the
huge and wonderful world of craft beer.
As Donald Rumsfeld said,'There are unknown unknowns, that's to say things that you don't even know that you don't know.'
Now that I've joined this site I know that there's a whole heap I don't know about making beer.

Thit quote above is one of the best things i have read on here in a while and i comend the author.

I grew up with a dad that told me anything i liked was shit.... just because he didnt like or agree with it. I may not like Tooheys red but i wont tell someone to not have a go because of it.

I will say.... here is something close that i recom will be better :)

Happy brewing.

Back