Tooheys Old - Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thunderlips said:
Tim said:
Beermakers/brewcraft kits are produced by Muntons maltings.
[post="79695"][/post]​

English then.
Bilph reckoned he saw some that were made in NZ. I wonder if Muntons has a factory there or maybe they get someone else to make some for them there?
[post="79706"][/post]​

The Beermakers Australasian range is made by Maltexo (Lion Nathan in NZ) and the Brewcraft range is made by Muntons in the UK. The brewcraft range are the replacements for the now defunct Beermakers imported range which were also produced by Muntons.
:beer:

I regulary make the following and find it to be extremely close the my beloved Tooheys Old:

1 can Tooheys Dark Ale
600gm Dry dark malt
400gm Maltodectrin
15gm teabag of willamette hops.

Bring jug to boil and make a teabag of Willamette hop teabag in a coffee mug
Dissolve malt and maltodextrin in 2 litres of boiling water then add can and mix. Put mixture straight into fermenter and add hop tea along with teabag. Fill fermenter up to 23 litres and add Safale yeast.

When fermentation has finished rack to second fermenter for a week then bulk prime with dextrose and bottle.

Hope this helps.

Brownie said:
Tony....who are ESB?

I live in Canberra...do they do mailorder?
[post="79416"][/post]​

BYOAH in Kambah stocks the entire ESB range, including all of the fresh wort stuff.

I agree that williamette hops would be better.

Also, take the plunge into seeping/partial mashes early. People make out that seeping grain/boiling is hard... it isn't.

However, it takes a bit longer as there is more to do... but the improved flavour is worth the extra time.

Read the brewing methods at www.howtobrew.com a couple of times, then go for it. If you get stuck or are unsure at anytime, do a search or post on this forum.

With the Old clone, wassa's seems the one to go with IMHO (In My Humble Opinion). Maybe seep some chocolate grain too.

Tooheys Old most definatly uses choc malt. Ross actaually showed me a sample from JWM that they malt especially and exclusivly for Tooheys.

You could try this

Ale malt 5 ebc 65%
Pilsner malt 3 ebc 22%
Pale choc malt 740 ebc 7%
Crystal malt 175 ebc 3.5%
Choc malt 1260ebc 2.2%

POR for 21 Ibu at 90mins
EKG for 2.2 Ibus at 20mins

Have tasted this exact recipe and it is so close it aint funny..

When I do it next it will be Fuggles and EKG

I recently made a dark ale which would have been quite close except it had 200g of Amber malt which added a biscuity flavour that isn't present in Old.

From memory I used about 3% crystal and around 8% dark malts which were a mix of Aussie black malt and English chocolate malt. The aroma was very close to Tooheys old, but flavour was quite different due to the Amber malt.

For flavour/aroma I used a tiny addition of Saaz hops - to me the Tooheys beers all have a slightly spicy aroma which a Pride of Ringwood + Saaz combo goes a long way toward reproducing.

I don't actually see a lot of point in cloning Tooheys Old. Any decent homebrew dark ale recipe, whether it be kit, extract & grains or full mash, should produce a dark ale which is superior in every way while not being offensive to Tooheys Old lovers. (But then, with the possible exceptions of LCPA, Duvel and Westmalle Tripel I fail to see the point in cloning anything and like my beer to just be itself).

(EDIT: if Lion Nathan succeed in stuffing up Coopers, I'll have to extend that to cloning the Sparkling Ale - I'd be really p*ssed off if I couldn't get my Coopers sparkling).

cheers,
Colin

Brownie said:
Anyone heard of Beermakers brand.

They do an Old....would hope so apparently Beermakers is done by lion nathan.

If anyone has tried it, let me know....
[post="79572"][/post]​

I've tried the Beermakers old kit a few years ago, just with 500g dark malt extract, and 500g dextrose. Turned out very nice, perhaps a little maltier than the old but the bitterness and hopping was pretty well spot on.

, Voota

Thanks Stu, i was just about to post that one in.

I recon Fuggles or willamette are the go.

If i do the above AG recipe again i would use

Ale malt 5 ebc 65%
Pilsner malt 3 ebc 22%
Pale choc malt 550 ebc 5%
Crystal malt 145 ebc 5%
Choc malt 1260ebc 3%

POR for 16 - 18 IBU at 90 min boil
20g Fuggles at 20 min boil

1.044, 18 to 20 IBU.

firment with a nice pommy yeast at low temp to give a clean finnish but with some character.

Very nice beer.

cheers

Brownie said:
Hi,

I am a newbie and like Tooheys Old.

I know Tooheys make a kit "Tooheys Dark Ale"; and

I know Coopers make a kit "Coopers Dark Ale".

Does anyone know which would be a) the best; and

B) the closest to the Tooheys Old or better.

Also once I have the kit would Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 be sufficient or will I need to add other ingredients?

Please be gentle...........
[post="79399"][/post]​

Beer makers old.
500g of dark malt
500g of dextrose.

Easy as and bloody nice, am putting on my second batch of it today!

Latest posts

Back