Too much Water!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sorry guys im sure its been covered somewhere but I cant find it so ill just ask.

Im kicking myself coz I just did a brew and filled up to what I thought was the 23ltr mark but when I looked closer it was 25ltrs!!!!!

The marks on the side are hard to see when theres water on it so lesson learnt ill be getting a big black marker and marking the 23ltr line for next time.

Whats the go? is my brew stuffed?

Dunno if it means anything but im brewing Coopers Australian Pale Ale.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!!!

Thanks Rob. Your right beer is beer but this is about my 5th brew and the only one that came out good was the very first one I did. After the first one the others came out either flat or just bad haha!!! So now I have gone back to basics and that's why im so pissed that I did this.
I don't want to waste it so ill let it sit and see how things go.
Cheers mate

I've made a few beers that the abv was low on... and it's not such a bad thing, it just means you get to put an extra longneck in the fridge each session :chug:

The other good thing is that now you have done it once, you probably won't do it by "mistake" next time.

probably not a bad idea to have some emergency supplies on hand.

DME
hops

That way you can go, ahh shit too much water, a bit of this a dash of this and we are back in the ball park...

I have also gone the other way where I made a saison that ended up around 8.3% and had the malt back bone of a lager, it was so amazingly unbalanced that I could only drink it after I'd "tripped over" the APA tap a few times.

Thanks guys. As I am still not that knowledgeable on home brewing I just want to do things by the book till I get a consistant beer that I love.
Looking forward to seeing how it turns out :kooi:

It is early days for you but you will read it in almost every "newbie" post, get an old fridge and an STC-1000 to control your ferment temp. Your beer will be infinitely better that letting it go wild. You wont get the fusel alcohol "homebrew twang"that plagues alot of new brewers.

One of my mates has been doing kits for 10 years + and ferments in the garden shed. He is always really stoked to tell me how quickly they ferment and how good the latest beer is. I can't tell the difference, all I can taste is fusel stank. He loves it though and thats what matters.

Find the balance between budget and what you enjoy, read up on how to improve your beers with what you have on hand and enjoy the ride

edit: me spell good

Phillip Island Brewer said:
Thanks Rob. Your right beer is beer but this is about my 5th brew and the only one that came out good was the very first one I did. After the first one the others came out either flat or just bad haha!!! So now I have gone back to basics and that's why im so pissed that I did this.
I don't want to waste it so ill let it sit and see how things go.
Cheers mate
As others have said the 25 litres will be ok. I note after your first brew the others have been "bad", this may well be due to poor cleaning and sanitising methods. There is plenty here on that subject to seek out but one of the most forgotten is the fermenter tap, ensure you full this apart, clean and sanitise. (same with bottle filling tube).
Having said that, do not get disheartened, we have all been there and on occasions just don't make that "good" brew.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back