Too Much Black Roasted Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hughman666

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently put down an ale with some black roasted malt in it (2.5%), having never used it before. Well, the finished product has spent a couple of days in the kegs and has great potential - but - the black roasted malt is dominating the flavour with the smokey bitterness. It's still drinkable but just way too full-on.

Obviously I have to back off on it in the future but for this batch will extended time in the keg mellow out the black roasted malt flavours or is it there to stay?

Any similar experiences?

2.5% is a decent amount, but how dominant it is depends on what other roasted/modified malts you might use, such as choc.

Wait. Drink the beer in a month's time.

cool thanks, i'm off to europe in the next fortnight on a beer drinking tour and will be gone for a month. this should be ok by the time i return then!

cool thanks, i'm off to europe in the next fortnight on a beer drinking tour and will be gone for a month. this should be ok by the time i return then!

Way to make me jealous! I did a very stout stout recently, it has been getting better each time I drink one :) Pity they have almost run out :(

I have a problem with roast malt in stouts at about 15%, despite the fact that some folks seem to think that it is interchangeable with roast barley. I do however like the cleaner white head colour. I have never tried to use smaller amounts to flavour/colour ales, and most recipes would seem to opt for some sort of caramel malt to do that. I guess there might be some situations where you don't want the associated sweetness, but I'm having trouble thinking of one.

Back