Too Lazy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimBob

Reaction score
Hi all,

When adding the body-blend... dextrose... whatever to a kit, you always get lumps. Just how important is it to get all the lumps out?

Mixing it with cold water, seems to work better - but am I being too lazy by leaving some lumps? Does it do any real damage?

Cheers,
Tim

Have only had this problem with LDME. Found no affects though.

what i found that helps is the hotter the water the easier it is to mix powders in! (Works great with gravy) Best if you add small amounts at a time.
i have had some lumpy mixtures previously too but found it broke down and didn't cause any problems.

Everyone will have a different technique that works for them but might no work for you.

I add extra hops and boil them with the brew enhancer, DME or other sugar for 5 min in 3 litres of water. You just need to let it cool or use really cold water to get the temp down to pitching even with the other 20 litres and the hot kit.

I read on one of the kits I use (either Coopers or Morgans) that the best way to avoid lumps is to add your sugars (brew-enhancer, body brew, ldme etc) to a dry fermenter. Add hot water. Then pick up fermenter and swirl it around for 30 seconds. Seems to get rid of all the lumps.
Better still: Boil it up with some hops.

Latest posts

Back