Tony's Kegorator Project.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
Hi all.

I know i love to watch peoples projects as they progress on here so here is my latest one.

I had a 320 liter freezer for the job but:

1. It only fit one 50 liter keg and the other had to be a little 19 liter corny.
2. It blew up when my sister in law sat sofa bed cussions over the compressor cooling slots <_<

Anyways...... i put an add in the lacal paper saying: Wanted. chest freezer over 350 liter. I only got one phone call for this one. FREE! We jumped in the ute and 20 min later it was mine. 360 Liter. It works well. They had it powered up and cold when i got there.

Freezer.jpg

Its a bit rough around the edges, with paint missing and a bit of surface rust. Its no longer white...... its now a nice shade of ciggy smoke yellow and smells of it too (what do they do to your lungs?) Nothing a bit of filler, rust treatment and paint wont fix!

It will hold 2 x 50 liter kegs which is want i wanted. I have a 2 tap font so the prospect of having 50 liters of 2 lots of quaffers is great.

I looked on the back and noticed a plastic thing which was starting to crumble a bit and rusting around the edges.

Freezerrear.jpg

I busted it out and removed the foam and found clear access to the inner wall of the freezer to mount a gas header for the kegs ect. Will get a SS plate made and mount a 90 deg fitting for the gas line. Very happy with this! I figure a bulk head fitting on each surface with a loop of line in the cavity for access if you know what i mean..... you will see.

freezergasaccess.jpg

Going to toss the lid in the bin and build a solid timber lid and mount it up to the existing brackets. Get a new seal and a SS plate to line botton "wet" side of the lid. Will use a light timber or else it will weigh a ton but i dont plan to lift the lid too often. If its too heavy i will make a support for it when its up. THe lid will have to have a bit of structure about ti to hold the weight of the font.

fontandtray.jpg

Anyway. More pics as it progresses. Still have not decided on a colour to paint it. THinking about the old holden Gun metal Grey. It has to fit in with brick walls and a timber bar so i dont want it too lairy if you know what i mean.

cheers

nice score Tone, you going to build a frame with casters to sit it in for mobility ?

oh, that's right, you're a sparky, you don't fabricate, I'm the boily...

only joking mate, looking forward to see how it turns out ;) :)

cheers
Yard

Oh mate i can stick, mig, tig and oxy weld....... Oxy cut, use a plasma.........how are you with wiring ?

hehe. had to have a poke :)

I used to hang out with the boilies at BHP..... they were better blokes than the lecos in some places in there. Got plenty of lessons.

Its a good old unit with a solid metal base and will look into some casters for it. Will need them to move it out from the wall to open it hey :) Good thought.

cheers

good work tony
that looks like a great project
if you come across another one send it up to Singleton will ya please :)

looking forward to the rest of it

Troopa

$20 add in the newcastle herald did it. didnt try the maitland merc or the singo argus...... not sure what the lacal muswelbrook one is. lots of untested ground for a free freezer there.

cheers

Oh mate i can stick, mig, tig and oxy weld....... Oxy cut, use a plasma.........how are you with wiring ?

hehe. had to have a poke :)

I used to hang out with the boilies at BHP..... they were better blokes than the lecos in some places in there. Got plenty of lessons.

Its a good old unit with a solid metal base and will look into some casters for it. Will need them to move it out from the wall to open it hey :) Good thought.

cheers

touche, 1 all :lol:

yeah, just an angle iron base with some casters tacked to it, you ever see the old kegerator where i 'no nailed' tongue & groove to the panels ?

came up pretty nice with a bit of stain, maybe another option instead of painting it..

Cheers
Yard

ya lucky *******! i would like to do something similar with a timber top, i would be using cornies so would be looking at a four way font, its a pipe dream at the moment. i look forward to seeing your progress, so all the best in your endeavour or should i say adventure!

:icon_cheers: cozmo

touche, 1 all :lol:

I like even..... its good :p for now ;)

Cozmo......... i would love a 3 tap set up with 2 50 liters kegs for quaffers and a cornt for smothing stronger but the freezer missed out on fitting a corney by about 30mm.

never mind. Will build this and if a better freezer comes up in the future....... i have added value to it!

cheers

yeah..... thats..... almost what i said.

Maybe Max on at 10pm would have said what i said!

:angry:

never mind. Tis will be a starter. Id like to get this running and build a 4 tapper one day.

2 x 50's and 2 x cornies! Thats the dream

cheers

Shall we get into control systems........ PLC and SCADA programing? Instrumentation?

:p

I dont need any of those silly tickets to build brewing stuff :)

cheers

PS....... i already noted on your great wiring skils before schooey. Im very impressed!

Tony- how are you going to lift the 50L kegs into the freezer? Any system devised?

Cheers - Mike

Tony- how are you going to lift the 50L kegs into the freezer? Any system devised?

Cheers - Mike

I think he uses a pump into an empty keg in the fridge and carbs up over 48 hours.

Cheers - Mike

Rack chilled beer from fermenter to an empty keg and trolly it to the Kegorator. Hook up gad and pump it through filter cold into empty clean keg in freezer, close the keg and gas it over 48 hrs as said. The gas in the beer out at 250 KPA works perfectly.

No lifting involved.

cheers

Tony,
Great setup mate. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses. Shame about the 30mm, then again if it could fit 3 kegs, you'd want 4, then 5, then...... the home brewing wish list never ends!
Cheers!

Hi Tony,

Looks good. Being a sparky and all, can you work out if there is a difference in running costs than a brand new freezer? How long will it take to pay for itself in electricity?

I know, I know, this one was free but it seems a shame to make a lid for a freezer that could be on its last legs.

cheers

Darren

Good score Tony, I changed the lid on my to wood as well. Got some scrap from a door place, so it's solid core with a veneer of wood over the two sides, then I stained and sealed both sides.. I have a single and doudle font on it.
The other thing i did was to move the hinges so that I could open it sideways instead of the way it came. Meens you don't have to pull the freezer out from the wall.
Shame that I did all that work and now it doesn't seem to be working, either ran out of gas or the compressor is stuffed., but you take that risk if you buy 2nd hand.
eric

the freezer missed out on fitting a corney by about 30mm.
That extra space you have now that you cant fit that third keg would be perfect for a banged up container holding some antifreeze with a little pond pump to flood your font.

Sometimes these little misses turn into big gains..... :lol:

Or at least mine did after I married her.... <_< :lol:

Latest posts

Back