Todays Brew (Imperial IPA)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slcmorro

87 Warning Points. Bad Boy!
Reaction score
Hoptimus Prime (Imperial IPA)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.103 (°P): 24.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.026 (°P): 6.6
Alcohol (ABV): 10.12 %
Colour (SRM): 10.4 (EBC): 20.4
Bitterness (IBU): 101.1 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

76.19% Pale Malt
9.52% Vienna
9.52% Wheat Malt
4.76% Caramunich I

0.9 g/L Magnum (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Chinook (11.4% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Simcoe (12.2% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
1.3 g/L Chinook (11.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
1.3 g/L Simcoe (12.2% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Ella (14% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Safale US-05 <--- Fresh cake off an All Day IPA.

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Going for a slightly drier beer here, just because a lot of IPA's and IIPA's I've had lately have that sickly sweet taste that I assume is there to try to balance out the bitterness. The alcohol in this I am hoping will not necessarily counter the bitterness, but perhaps take a little bit of that 'melt your face off' pucker factor out of it. Time will tell.

No hops past 10 minutes?

Should be a nice beer mate, similar to something I do about every 6 months, I also aim for a dry finish in really big IIPAs too, normally 87% MO or Vienna, 3% Caramunich III and 10% dextrose (half in the boil, half with about 10 points to go on expected FG. Mash at 62-3°C for 2 to 4 hours, depending on how I'm filling the time before I need to prepare the sparge.

The alcohol definitely aids in smoothing the bitterness, I'm still cautious with my initial bittering choice though, either Warrior at start of boil or Simcoe FWH, weirdly using Warrior lends a firmer bitterness than the Simcoe FWHing which is quite smooth and really lets the late hops shine.

If you decide to do another one of these any time soon I'd suggest a big whirlpool addition/hopstand, my last version had 100g each Simcoe and Centennial as a 20 minute hop stand at around 90°C, I could have probably skipped dry hopping that beer, it was pungent grapefruit/citrus before the dry hop and for months after the dry hop had faded to the background.

I really would love to brew these every week but the ridiculous amount of malt and hops required to do them properly is prohibitive, my last version used nearly a kilogram of Yob's finest wares in 20L batch, not economically viable. Besides, I can only get a pint or 2 down before I fall asleep.

Thanks Donske. I might look at a couple of cube additions in the wake of your advice. 62-63c would sure make it dry!

slcmorro said:
Thanks Donske. I might look at a couple of cube additions in the wake of your advice. 62-63c would sure make it dry!
Kinda, there is still enough body between the unfermentables and alcohol to hold 100+ IBUs, I'm not sure I'd want to test it with something like CTZ or Galaxy though, I prefer a smoother buttering hop anyway.

Latest posts

Back