To Smack Or Not To Smack?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastfeast

Reaction score
I want to aliquot Wyeast packs into sterile plastic tubes.

Should I smack the packs and wait a few days before aliquoting the contents or aliquot directly from un-smacked packs?

How long would aliquots of American and British ale yeast remain viable in the fridge? I will be using them to make starters.

I want to aliquot Wyeast packs into sterile plastic tubes.

Should I smack the packs and wait a few days before aliquoting the contents or aliquot directly from un-smacked packs?

How long would aliquots of American and British ale yeast remain viable in the fridge? I will be using them to make starters.

Whats an aliquote. Is it a fancy word for separating I guess. Is it a slope/slant/separation/slurry?
Some smack, some dont, I am of the latter only because I dont feel the yeast needs nutrient whilst in a dormant state. Some very good brewers smack, aliguotte and store though.

How long can be hit n miss, certainly a couple of months and more.

and what phoney posted

Well you learn something every day, it's clearly an industry term in bio-storage - sorta rolls off the tongue - Rashid's job was to aliquot the Anthrax powder and distribute it to the strike groups.... :unsure:

similarly I'd not smack - are you going to store as-is at fridge temperature or freeze? I recently froze a few tubes of Wyeast but from slurry not direct from the pack. Used sterilised tubes and a glycerine solution, haven't resurrected any yet to see if they made the journey.

sorta rolls off the tongue - Rashid's job was to aliquot the Anthrax powder and distribute it to the strike groups.... :unsure:

:blink:
On that note, Goodnight :lol: :lol:

I don't smack, and use the wort sachet in my next starter. As others have suggested, what's the point in waking the yeast up, just to dump it in the fridge to go to sleep again.

and here i was thinking this thread was going to give me a child smacking 101 lesson.

Latest posts

Back