To Skim Or Not To Skim?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apart from all the anecdotes ... is there any scientific proof that skimming is benificial or not? ..... has someone done any repeatable experiments ?

I find when i don't skim that i get clearer wort. Not sure if its because of the lack of skimming or something else.
The otehr benefit is that i don't have to wash the strainer anymmore

I havent noticed any real difference in flavour in brews since I've recently started skimming, so I dont think there is a relly big difference.

Skimming really does seem to prevent boilovers, I get no buildup of the froth at all when I skim.

Sometimes when I see a dark film on the froth surface, and pasty stuff on the side of my kettle at the top of the wort level, I sort of feel I should get rid of it.

Hows that for a scientific approach. :)

I might attend a few skimmers anonymous meeetings and see if that helps

I cant help but skim. I also have never had substantial amounts of trub in the bottom.

My skimming has no scientific basis. I do note from tasting the hot break, that after the initial creamy break which tastes like mousse (chocolate mousse on a stout) the break takes on a strong, almost metalic (to my taste buds) flavour (DMS i presume?), personally I'd rather this is removed from the beer, I dont skim while there are hops on the surface. On a 90min boil I'll skim until 60min add bittering hops & wont skim again for a good half hour.

I also wonder if it is possible that having hot break on the surface could inhibit the boiling off of some unwanted compounds.
I agree the theory that leaving the hot break in for better coagualation could be just as (if not more) plausable.

Despite continuing to skim, I have never heard any proven scientific research either for or against. Even if it is marginally beneficial, I can see that a commercial brewery might find it uneconomical & / or unpractical to attempt to include this process.

There are quite a few more threads covering the exact same topic (including a couple of polls) so try a searching for "skim", "skimmer", & "skimming".

The "commercial brewers don't skim" argument seems like a good one, but remember also that commercial brewers generally clarify and/or filter their beers...

I've completely stopped skimming, based on the "no breweries skim" argument.
Haven't noticed any impact to the beer as far as I can tell.

Until on Wednesday when I brewed with a very full urn and left the lid half-way on to help getting a rolling boil on.
This was just at the beginning of the boil.
Went inside, did something or other.
Came back out and it had boiled over, possibly my first boil-over or at least the first I can remember.

Hmm, guess if I had been skimming like I used to I wouldn't have left the urn, eh!?

:lol:

Bjorn

Latest posts

Back