To Fizz Or Not To Fiz

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

legham

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Ive been Brewing for a few months now and put down around 5 brews. Im drinking the third now and unfortunatly like the last two it is really hit and miss with carbonation. Every second bottle is lacking in the fizz. I do my best to heat them after bottling but has no results.

I guess my question is how do you guys make sure you get the fiz in the bottle?

cheers.

More information needed.

Bulk Priming ?

PET Bottles or Glass with caps ?

I never have a problem using PET bottles with dex and a Brigalow sugar measure from Woolies.

Although up here in the tropics bottles are hard after 4 days summer or winter.

Bulk priming is popular but not really needed if you are just using standard sized bottles and you can't be bothered racking from the primary.

If you bulk prime properly you should get consistent carbonation.

How are you doing it at the moment? Maybe your technique or ingredients have an easy solution.

Make sure your glass is free from any detergents... I wash all of mine in hot water before use as it cleans away any residual detergents from the dishwasher prior to beer o'clock.

I use a mixture of glass and pet bottles. They are always very clean and rinsed. I use the carbonation drops the bottles.

I used to use carb drops and generally had no issue but I've heard people suggest that due to slight variations in size, they can be inconsistent. How long have you left the bottles for?

Reasons for low/inconsistent fizz include:

Not sealing bottles properly
Incorrect dosage
Cold weather

Maybe have a look at bulk priming for your next brew and compare the methods.

Thanks, going to bulk prime next time. It is cold here so maybe that is the problem.

If some bottles are coming out carbonated and some not it may be something else. Check your seals. Bulk priming will still stuff up if you don't seal properly (has happened to me).

Thanks, going to bulk prime next time. It is cold here so maybe that is the problem.

Use this:
http://www.geocities.com/lesjudith/Alcohol...Calculator.html

Select your Volumes down the bottom for the style your brewing
the temp is the highest temp your brew got to while fermenting.

So if doing an American Pale Ale
Select it in the bottom drop down list.
Pick your desired volumes, say 2.5 as a middle of the road thing
Say that your brew never got over 20degC
And it's a 23 liter brew
You're using dextrose to prime with and then hit calculate

Presto!, you'll need 151g of Dex to prime with.

Dissolve that in about a liter of warm water and dump it into your bottling bucket.
Rack your brew on top of it and bottle as normal.

HTH

BeerFingers

Yep, we're experiencing that cool thing even up here in parts of sunny Queensland, perhaps you're not heating them for long enough? I let them go for up to a week somewhere warm and then move them into the pantry or chiller. If you have an electric hot water system indoors, pop your bottles on top in a box or crate for at least a few days. The extra heat should kick priming along, just don't be letting them get too hot, I aim to keep my ales around 20degC (an infrared thermometer makes measuring their temp a piece of piss BTW). Add layers of cardboard help to regulate the heating or a blanket over the top to hold more in. Failing that, in a box in the sun during the daytime perhaps (keeping light out but heat in)? In the pantry or an esky even with a hot water bottle? Electric blanket? Back in your ale fermenting fridge etc... you get the idea.

I'm usually a bulk primer but I've had a few uniformity issues too, am finding that it needs i) racking on to the dissolved sugars, ii) gentle whirlpooling/ agitation from the racking hose but not aeration (which will cause oxidation), and iii) time to diffuse completely, say half an hour or more.

The uniformity problem that I've experienced has been, over the last say ten or dozen batches since I've begun bulk priming, one cracked bottle (i.e. nearly a bottle bomb, the glass just let go in place but it didn't explode), a handful of gushers, most of the rest were fine, but a few nearly flat too. If it was just that most of them were fine and some flat (like your situation), I'd be suss on either the bottle caps or temperature, but seeing as with mine a few went the other way, I'm tending more towards non- homogeneous priming sugar distribution, so when you start bulk priming be very careful of that. Just don't over do the agitation bit else it'll end up oxidised and taste like wet cardboard.

Having said that, I've found the Geocities calculator undercarbonates if using its style guide. I'm not slagging it at all- I use it all the time- but initially I was disappointed by the level of carbonation I was getting. I have increased the desired volumes by up to 100% in some cases, although it could be that my expectations for the styles that I've done batches of are different. As an extreme example, I have used 130g sugars in 23 litres of English Bitter at 20degC, which equates to 2.4 volumes as opposed to the guide of 0.8 - 1.3 which takes a maximum of 40.5g. You need to be very, very careful in doing this, I have only done this after a fair bit of experimentation, and recommend only using PET bottles for trialling different rates.

[Damn, that was almost another essay- sorry...]

Another question on the same topic.
I have some bottles in the garage that have not carbed up because of the cold temps lately.
Will they carb up onece the weather gets warmer, or is it too late now.
They have been out in the cold for about 6 weeks now.

Another question on the same topic.
I have some bottles in the garage that have not carbed up because of the cold temps lately.
Will they carb up onece the weather gets warmer, or is it too late now.
They have been out in the cold for about 6 weeks now.
I think they should be OK as the yeast is probably just dormant/ hibernating. A week or two of warmer conditions as per my previous post should rouse it back up to sparkling goodness. Try that first, then we can look at alternatives if it doesn't, but I'd be surprised if you can't get it to spark up with just some gentle heating.

I currently have this problem with a porter, bulk primed my usual amount and over 2 weeks later it is flat as. My guess it is just the colder weather, I assume they will *eventually* carbonate properly...

If you can get them somewhere with a temp of 20C or above they will carb up in a few days.

Back