Tips To Stop Tap Dribble

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael_aussie

Reaction score
One of the few things that shits me about kegging is the dribble I get after pouring EVERY glass.

Is it only me??

I have adjustable Cellis.

After EVERY pour, unless I wipe the glass on the bottom of the tap, to coax the beer that's in the outlet tube out, it will dribble out by itself within about 10 seconds of finishing pouring.

Is it only me??

How do the rest of you handle this??

use perlick taps :p they dribble for 1-2 secs after the night spray some no rinse sanitiser up there and all good to go.

buy a bucket to go underneath? My bucket has a 'lambic' beer growing in ti.

Sounds like the little hole behind the spout is blocked, which is there to stop this happening. Squirt some water up through the spout & it should come out through the hole & clear it.

cheers Ross

Had to laugh when I read this.

I have a jug that I give a squirt into if I haven't poured one for a while that I empty at the end of each session.

Usually a few days later when I notice a fluffy carpet in it.Each time I swear to myself it won't happen again.

MB

Had to laugh when I read this.

I have a jug that I give a squirt into if I haven't poured one for a while that I empty at the end of each session.

Usually a few days later when I notice a fluffy carpet in it.Each time I swear to myself it won't happen again.

MB

Hehe, seems I'm not the only one then :p

:lightbulb: So that's what the little hole is for.

Cheers

Campbell

Yes, with the air intake hole blocked, when you close the tap, it's like puting your finger over the end of a straw, the liquid will hold in the spout until it finally dribbles out.

cheers Ross

Ross is right, Clean the hole and you'll have drible free pouring.
I use a piece of fishing line when i clean my taps to make sure its free.

Still lots of drible around my kegerator just not from the taps.

Or these from an ice-cream store, they won't stop the dribble but work great at catching it.
Drip_Catchers.jpg
My taps don't dribble but these containers have twice saved me cleaning the carpet when someone accidentally knocked a tap.

Yes, with the air intake hole blocked, when you close the tap, it's like puting your finger over the end of a straw, the liquid will hold in the spout until it finally dribbles out.

cheers Ross
ty Ross.....
i tried cleaning the hole, but I'm still getting dribbles.
I suspect i have used too much lube when i last cleaned...
I'll clean the tap on the weekend and pay special attention to the little hole .....

btw .. I'm currently drinking the Irish Red from the wort I purchased from you ... very nice indeed.

[quote post='779933' date='Jun 2 2011, 08:35 AM']Hehe, seems I'm not the only one then :p[/quote]Seems there's a few of us!

i find if you close the taps off, it doesnt take long before everyone stops dribbling.

Sounds like the little hole behind the spout is blocked, which is there to stop this happening. Squirt some water up through the spout & it should come out through the hole & clear it.

cheers Ross

ty Ross.....
i tried cleaning the hole, but I'm still getting dribbles.
I suspect i have used too much lube when i last cleaned...
I'll clean the tap on the weekend and pay special attention to the little hole .....

btw .. I'm currently drinking the Irish Red from the wort I purchased from you ... very nice indeed.
just a quick update .. I completely stripped .... cleaned out the hole Ross mentioned ... reassembled ... and still they dribbled.

So this weekend just gone .. I decided to give them a careful going over.

It turns out there are TWO little holes that need to be clear to ensure you don't have an air block.

The first is just behind the tap (underneath) as Ross described.
The second is about 5mm behind this hole, but it goes into the nozzle. You can see it when you remove the tap and look inside the body.

This second hole was blocked.
Once I cleaned it out .. a pipe-cleaner was handy (a great suggestion from my 8 year old son) .. I reassembled .. and Bob's your uncle.

I now once again have a "dribble-free" tap.

Yeah & I bet it's a bugger at the airport security checks too

Nope. You don't take your wedding ring off to go through the scanner do you?

On topic (slightly), I find I get more of a mould farm than a lambic in the drip tray. Must look at those taps...

Latest posts

Back