Tipped a full keg down the drain!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1974Alby

Reaction score
It was heartbreaking, but done as a kindness. It was not pleasant!

A Saison brewed using Belle Saison at ambients, during which the temps got up in to the high 30s...was in primary for three weeks and tasted funky and 'saisonesque' at warmer temps...when chilled,kegged carbonated, all I could taste was bandaids!!! Uurgh.

Possibly a side product of too-high ferm temps...possibly an infection...Either way its gone now and the fermentor and keg has been soaked in sodium perc, rinsed, iodophored, rinsed and starsan'd.

Thanks for listening...it has been cathartic to share this tragedy

I would describe Saison as bandaidish any ways. Maybe you should of held onto it for a while .
Its the one style of beer I would describe as tasting home brewed, you know from the 70's.
Nev

I had to do the same with a mild that was 150% diacetyl a few months ago. We sat on the lawn together for a while and I removed the lid with a salty tear runnig down my cheek and said goodbye.

Gryphon Brewing said:
I would describe Saison as bandaidish any ways. Maybe you should of held onto it for a while .
Its the one style of beer I would describe as tasting home brewed, you know from the 70's.
Nev
perhaps...I did consider that it may improve over time, but considering how bad it was to start, it was never any chance of improving to the point that it could ever be described as enjoyable.

Gryphon Brewing said:
Nev
Sounds like your tongue might need a bandaid, Nev, you're missing all your tastebuds. ;)

I have a couple of kegs right now that I am unhappy with, and life's too short to drink bad beer.

I'll try lagering them for a while, and then it's either down the drain they go - or invite round some mates who aren't so fussy about what they drink.

Commiserations. I just leave it in there for a month regardless and it comes out ok.

You could alway (cough) run the brew through a 'water purifier' to retain some of its value.

brewtas said:
Sounds like your tongue might need a bandaid, Nev, you're missing all your tastebuds. ;)
The only way I can justify the "beer" I drank in my early days it to say I drank lots of Saisons.
Actually I have very good taste buds and am a good beer judge.
Nev

winkle said:
You could alway (cough) run the brew through a 'water purifier' to retain some of its value.
From what I "hear" this does not work with infections that cause acetone.

You would be suicidal were you in my shoes.
5 batches in a row, all down the drain. I'm not sure even the lawn liked the plastic infusion.

If you've made it this far without tipping one out, you've done better than many brewers dare I say.

The F.I.L. drinks no-name draught fermented at ambient with 1kg white sugar and aged for at least a week before drinking... He takes care of my below average efforts. I've only had one brew which he said was ' a bit rough ' , it ended up on the lawn cos I felt guilty watching him drink it. Only one which has been tipped, was a very sad day.

I've dumped two overall in about 10-12 batches. Both the same beer, curiously enough, while I got started with BIAB. One was too thick a mash, the other one was just due to plain stupidity - first batch, and used to doing kits and all extract so watered it down, way too much. (Whoops!) But now I don't think I've yet dumped another batch since those two. Always a pain in the arse to dump a batch

Latest posts

Back