Time To Hand-mill 5kg Batch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozpowell

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I used to hand mill my grain using a corona-style mill but gave up on that a couple of years back because it was taking me about an hour to mill a 5kg batch (not to mention the poor quality of the crush). I now buy my grain pre-cracked. However, I'd love an excuse to buy something like the MillMaster. My question is, approximately how long does it take to mill a 5kg batch or grain using one of these puppies (using a crank-handle). I realize I could motorize it, and probably would end up doing so sometime in the future, but am curious how long it takes to do it manually.

I hand crank my MillMaster, and 5 kilo's took me about 10 minutes on Sunday.

I haven't enlarged the hopper yet, and the hopper holds just over half a kilo of malt. If I have help and someone is topping up the malt in the hopper you can do it in half that time and get a bit of a workout.

You will need to fashion a gear guard otherwise you will not be able to do it by hand.

Could you elaborate on this please?

pics of my gear guard.. have since knocked up a 1mm clear plastic guard hacked from the lid of a storage container. a gear guard is only required for the MillMaster, afaik.

my grainbill is typically between 10-14kg and i hand crank it, in around 5 mins with an assistant topping up the hopper.

reVox

Back