Time Between Mashout And Boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gormand

Reaction score
With my switch to BIAB AG on the horizon (Im just short the burner and pot stand at this point) I have a question about splitting a batch. What I am looking to potentially do is split a full batch into 2 half batches in order to hop them differently (Trying to learn my hops and how to use them) and then ferment them side by side.
So I was wondering if there is any issue with after my mash and grain removal I siphon 50% out into a cube boil the first half, using 1 combination of hops. and then once I transfer that to a cube to chill putting the second half back into the pot to boil it with the second hop combo. just not sure if it will screw up the second half because it will have cooled well below the mash temp before it gets boiled.

I don't see any problems with this approach. As long as you're not leaving it overnight, there shouldn't be any real problem with growth of acetobacteria. Your boil should kill anything off.

Sounds like a good way to try out different hops.

You should be ok so long as you do a proper mashout at around 78 degrees to denature the enzymes.
Also note that you can get 10L cubes, so you can nochill half a brew in each.

carrycan_6084.jpg

There's a much cheaper white version available from Bunnings and it seals great, I use one for making giant ice bricks for fermenting under the doonah in the summer (soon a thing of the past) :icon_cheers: so I know they seal.

Might end up with a slightly lower FG on the second one if you don't bring the temp up

You should be ok so long as you do a proper mashout at around 78 degrees to denature the enzymes.
Also note that you can get 10L cubes, so you can nochill half a brew in each.

Thanks for the mashout tip.
And yeah thats my plan with the cubes my initial cube purchase will be 2 10l cubes for no chill and 2 20l cubes as fermenters, which will fit nicely side by side in my new fermenting fridge :D

If you plan to use the same cube for pre boil and post boil wort make sure you do a thorough clean and sanitise of the cube in between.
Otherwise I see no issue with experimenting in this way.
Cheers
Nige

Pull your bag, whether you did a mash out or not (i think you should) and bring everything up to the boil for about a minute. Then drop half into a cube/bucket/whatever and do your separate boil thing.

By having brought it to the boil, the enzymes are completely toast, and so is a great proportion of any bacteria. It might not last forever before its "proper" boil, but its not going to go off in the period of time you need.

I always boil for 90 minutes but only add hops for the last 60 mins - splitting the batch at the 30min gone point would be another way to handle it and even more sanitary if you were at all worried about it.

Back