Thought I Had It Worked Out...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixa

Barking Hound Brewery
Reaction score
:blink: :blink:
Thought i'd worked out how to do AG. Simple. Esky, S/S pot, burner. No worries... :eek:
Now i'm confused as to why some people use a mash tun, and 2 other S/S pots?
Can someone help please?
May be an absolutely stupid question and i may have killed the brain cell that held that piece of information, but i need help!!! :chug:
Cheers

Fixa,

Simply, there are many ways to skin a cat.

Esky and pot is all you need. Others have extra pots, tuns, kettles, boilers mainly to save time and make the process more streamlined.

It doesn't stop there either, there are pumps, valves, heaters, thermostats and the list goes on.

Just about everyone here started with an esky and pot. Perfectly good beer can be made with these pieces of equipment.

cheers

Darren

What you're suggesting is good enough, what most other people have is a stainless pot for the HLT (Hot Liquor Tank), though you can use a kettle or a bunch of smaller pots or the plastic bucket of death :D
And some people use a stainless pot as the mash tun rather than an esky...just another option though there are inherent advantages/disadvantages with both options.

Think that's answered your questions ??

Cheers guys..
Thought i was missing a link in my understanding of the process.

So the boiler, u boil your wort in, what does the HLT do? is it just another pot you can heat water in for whatever you need at the time?

Yep

Brewers refer to the water they use as "liquor". So a hot liquor tun (HLT) is a vessel used to heat the water used in mashing and sparging.

The HLT is generally used for heating the water for "dough in", the water you use to mash the grains. And primarily for heating the water for "sparging" the grains once they've finished mashing.

Edit: Damn, Whistling Jack beat me to it.

Wicked! so to hijack fixa's thread some more( sorry fixa) would a 2x 50L kegs suffice for boiler and HLT ? they um, are scheduled to fall off the truck in the very near future...

Mika Lika...
Plastic" bucket of death"
Please enlighten me..Making one out of .90 hdpe with elements 46lt..At the moment..

Cheers
PJ

Yep, Apprentice brewer

I have two 50 litre kegs in use exactly as you describe. Plenty of info available on how to convert them...

Mika Lika...
Plastic" bucket of death"
Please enlighten me..Making one out of .90 hdpe with elements 46lt..At the moment..

Cheers
PJ

Not my idea... try here

then search the forum.

Cheers,
Mika :party:

PJ,
Its called a bucket of death because when it splits and 30 litres of boiling sticky, sugar spills on your body causing third degree burns, you will probably die..

cheers

Darren

No worries apprentice brewer :)
we're all here to learn!

Latest posts

Back