Thomas Fawcetts Floor Malted Maris Otter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damp carpet isn't what your malt should smell like!! MO should be a distinctive biscut like maltiness. This flavour should be clean not musty. I think if you're getting musty and wet carpet there has been a storage issue.

He didnt say it was meant to smell like wet carpet drama queen, he said does it....

ref donburke
i have determined that this malt is giving me the flavor that i dont really like by chewing a few grains
and then
its crunchy, almost brittle, in fact i noticed my mill cracked the grain with much less effort as compared to say JW ale
Friable comes to mind, then again friable and musty don't seem to hang well together.
The grain has undescribed flavours (which may include musty)
but as to the beer
i am getting a twang to these beers that i can best describe as 'alcoholic' 'musty'
Is the grain musty or does it appear contaminated?
If it is musty would you expect, after mashing and boiling that the mustiness would be transferred (I would but thats beside the point)
If its not musty (and as yet has not been described so) then why else would your beer be musty, you do not have infections, you sanitise, every othe beer you make is top class?
No need to thank me or others for their input, you clearly nailed it "its the grain"
K

ref donburke

and then

Friable comes to mind, then again friable and musty don't seem to hang well together.
The grain has undescribed flavours (which may include musty)
but as to the beer
If it is musty would you expect, after mashing and boiling that the mustiness would be transferred (I would but thats beside the point)
If its not musty (and as yet has not been described so) then why else would your beer be musty, you do not have infections, you sanitise, every othe beer you make is top class?
No need to thank me or others for their input, you clearly nailed it "its the grain"
K
even though dr k is being a bit of a contrary mary. i have to agree with him.

dude tf mo is a top malt. i have used it often and am very happy with it. "musty" and "twang" don't come to mind.

so i guess either you have a dud bag of malt (maybe you can give a bit to a brew buddy to test) or you have another issue.

let us know how you progress.

cheers

mom

K

the flavor i can taste in the beer can also be tasted in the grain

excuse my non descript commentary, but let me try put it this way ...

when i open a bag of JW ale or JW munich i am reminded of my childhood, walking outside the westons biscuit factory that was opposite the old childrens hospital in camperdown

when i opened the bag of floor malted maris otter, i was reminded of the time i was excavating under my house, earthy & musty

this might be dud grain, or it might be my palate, i'll found out when i do a swap

Latest posts

Back