Thomas Fawcetts Floor Malted Maris Otter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donburke

Reaction score
i recently acquired a bag of this and have put down a few brews using it

mostly landlord clones and variations of them

my first time using this malt i thought i had an infection

i have determined that this malt is giving me the flavor that i dont really like by chewing a few grains

i am getting a twang to these beers that i can best describe as 'alcoholic' 'musty'

i have good temp control and sanitation and have made other beers on my equipment using different malts that come out fantastic,

is there a characteristic to this malt that some people dont like ?

or is it possible i have a bad bag ?

the bag was bought via a bulk buy from craftbrewer a few months ago so it should be fresh

any help identifying this 'strange flavour' is much apreciated

I love Maris otter grain, and I've never had an issue with it.

Ready your comment re "musty" I think your gain may have a mildew problem. Depending how it's been stored, its not hard for grain to get moist, then dry out, and then form mildew on it. Dried mildew gives off a musty aroma/flavour.

Closely inspect your grain and smell a hand full or two, if mildew is there you will smell it pretty quickly.

Good luck

Cheers
Carboy

Forgiving the fact that Landlord uses Golden Promise you should not have an issue with TFMO. Your source (Craftbrewer) has a high turnover, and the importer has ridiculouusly regualr shipments so the grain was, when you bought it fresh.
Lots of brewers have never had an infection.
K

Forgiving the fact that Landlord uses Golden Promise you should not have an issue with TFMO. Your source (Craftbrewer) has a high turnover, and the importer has ridiculouusly regualr shipments so the grain was, when you bought it fresh.
Lots of brewers have never had an infection.
K

i have used bairds MO which i understand is not floor malted and i did not experience this flavour

the bag would have been fresh, and i brewed as soon as i got it with the same problem, so i doubt its a storage problem

maybe the character produced by floor malting that so many people love is something my taste buds dont like

The grain is probably not the problem - what yeast did you use? How was your mash/sparge?

The grain is probably not the problem - what yeast did you use? How was your mash/sparge?

BIAB 75 min mash @ 65c with full water volume, just like i do with most my beers without problem

i have used wy1469 & wy1026

i will try making the same beer using JW ale instead to see how it compares

I love Maris otter grain, and I've never had an issue with it.

Ready your comment re "musty" I think your gain may have a mildew problem. Depending how it's been stored, its not hard for grain to get moist, then dry out, and then form mildew on it. Dried mildew gives off a musty aroma/flavour.

Closely inspect your grain and smell a hand full or two, if mildew is there you will smell it pretty quickly.

Good luck

Cheers
Carboy

is it a damp carpet smell if its mildew ?

Never had a problem with this grain, or the Golden Promise. I store my grain in garbarge bins bought from Bunnings.

is it a damp carpet smell if its mildew ?

Damp carpet isn't what your malt should smell like!! MO should be a distinctive biscut like maltiness. This flavour should be clean not musty. I think if you're getting musty and wet carpet there has been a storage issue.

Any other changes to your brewing other than the grain, ie; crushing it yourself because of the BBuy, different boil, recultured yeast, larger volume etc.

In the past I had a musty grainy taste to some beers and it worked out that it was an increase of volume which meant my burner at the time wasnt getting a good enough boil happening. The Rambo soon changed that.

Not saying that this is your problem, just trying to eliminate other things before the actual grain.

Cheers Brad

Any other changes to your brewing other than the grain, ie; crushing it yourself because of the BBuy, different boil, recultured yeast, larger volume etc.

In the past I had a musty grainy taste to some beers and it worked out that it was an increase of volume which meant my burner at the time wasnt getting a good enough boil happening. The Rambo soon changed that.

Not saying that this is your problem, just trying to eliminate other things before the actual grain.

Cheers Brad

no changes,

i have made beers in between using JW ale or Weyermann Pils with good results,

its the grain

anyone in sydney willing to suss out the grain for me ?

I got a bag of the same malt in the same bulk buy, if you want i can give you enought to put down a brew that way you can rule out the your malt or your taste.
I work over Alexandria way not to far from you.
Let me know if interested.

its the grain
in which case send it back
or is it a case of poor tradesmen and tools
on the other hand I understand that Fawcetts wet the barley down before malting, and, as unlikely as it seems to me, the moisture may have survived the germination uptake and subsequent kilning
K

in which case send it back
or is it a case of poor tradesmen and tools
on the other hand I understand that Fawcetts wet the barley down before malting, and, as unlikely as it seems to me, the moisture may have survived the germination uptake and subsequent kilning
K
Not sure if you are 'having a larf' with this comment..?
Of course they wet the barley before/when malting, how else do they get the grain to germinate? They need to get the moisture content of the grain from about 5% up to 40+% to get it to sprout. All part of the process.
Apologies to you if this was a joke, but without an appropriate emoticon it is hard to tell. :D

On topic, never had a musty odour or smell from TF MO, floor malted or otherwise. Is the grain crunchy or chewy/soft when tasted? Should have a crunch to it and a nice biscuity flavour.

Cheers
Nige

Sound like storage issues to me. Personally, have used Crisp Maris Otter from G&G and have been blow away with quality & extraction....

i recently acquired a bag of this and have put down a few brews using it

mostly landlord clones and variations of them

my first time using this malt i thought i had an infection

i have determined that this malt is giving me the flavor that i dont really like by chewing a few grains

i am getting a twang to these beers that i can best describe as 'alcoholic' 'musty'

i have good temp control and sanitation and have made other beers on my equipment using different malts that come out fantastic,

is there a characteristic to this malt that some people dont like ?

or is it possible i have a bad bag ?

the bag was bought via a bulk buy from craftbrewer a few months ago so it should be fresh

any help identifying this 'strange flavour' is much apreciated

I got a bag of the same malt in the same bulk buy, if you want i can give you enought to put down a brew that way you can rule out the your malt or your taste.
I work over Alexandria way not to far from you.
Let me know if interested.

best solution, yes it might be my taste,

will pm

thanks

On topic, never had a musty odour or smell from TF MO, floor malted or otherwise. Is the grain crunchy or chewy/soft when tasted? Should have a crunch to it and a nice biscuity flavour.

Cheers
Nige

its crunchy, almost brittle, in fact i noticed my mill cracked the grain with much less effort as compared to say JW ale

Back