"This tastes like Crownies"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altpferd

Reaction score
Not sure if that is supposed to be an insult or not to a home brewer .. but considering it was the first brew I ever did, being told "this tastes like Crownies" isn't too bad. At least they didn't say it tasted like VB! (No offence intended to VB lovers - it's all a matter of personal taste).

Considering most of my family love Crownies, I suppose this is a good thing. However, I would like to make better beer than that.

Perhaps another couple of weeks will improve it even more.

Unless they have something better to compare it to then that's a compliment lol

I know people who think a little creatures pale ale tastes exactly like a tooheys extra dry..

had a fella telling me the other day how good his home brew was "almost got it tastings just like crownies!" He was more pumped than a diesel bowser.

Kingy said:
People don't understand that I make beer and don't like or haven't brewed corona lol. WTF! Worst beer ever made... And for what it's worth I'd rather drink vb than drink crownies.
Not sure if I'd go as far as to say "worst beer ever made", myself.

I always say that it's hard to have an opinion of something that virtually has zero flavour profile. There's not much to like or not like about it.

Kingy said:
People don't understand that I make beer and don't like or haven't brewed corona lol. WTF! Worst beer ever made... And for what it's worth I'd rather drink vb than drink crownies.
You need to seriously widen your beer horizons, Corona is a long way from beingthe worst beer ever made.......grab a XXXX Summer Blight, thats an eye opener...!

yum beer said:
XXXX Summer Blight, thats an eye opener...!
When it first came out a bloke I worked with said to me "You have to try this new beer,XXXX summer... man if you like craft beer you're gunna love this!!"

Trusting his opinion, I ordered one while enjoying a long lunch...

We didn't talk much after that.

There was the xxxx summer with ginger. Tasted like farts in a bottle!and has anyone else noticed that vb is usually more expensive than crownies at the bottlo these days??? It's a strange world.

Anyways, what was the beer that you brewed? If you're happy with it, and your friends and family like it, you're on the right track!

Mexican beer isn't too bad compared to the likes of Budweiser over the border. Their brewing tradition came from Austria, as they were briefly part of the Austro Hungarian empire, and not from the USA. Roger Protz did a good article in his Beers of the World book - Corona was the cheapest possible beer put out by Modelo for the peasants and urban poor - it got latched onto by the hippy surfers who started to drift south during the 1960s for the deserted surf beaches in Mexico at that time. Says a lot about the quality of USA beers because they loved Corona and brought it home with them. They also started the slice of lemon (or is it lime? Haven't seen that happen for ages) thing, probably getting it confused with drinking Tequila.

There is a bar near me that has some decent beers on tap, like hop hog, stone and wood, little creatures etc, and they're fairly reasonably priced ($6 a schooner), but every time I've been there, all the cool young folk are drinking corona stubbies! I know what I'd spend my hard-earned on, and it doesn't have bloody lemon wedges in it!

Back