Things you can do to offset high fermentation temp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisispants

Reaction score
Hi, so despite the fan, cold towels and ice bricks around the fermenter, the wort temperature is still 23-24C. Annoying.

Is there anything I can do to the beer such as adding something that may offset any potential off flavours created due to the high fermentation temperature?

The yeast is Danstar West Coast Ale Yeast.

I'm going to dry hop with Citra hops....if I dry hopped with a greater amount of hops would that potentially mask any off flavours?

The beer is an IPA.

Short answer is no, but the long answer is you can attempt to mask it with a large amount of dry hopping

It might work, or you might just end up with a beer with high ferment issues AND tastes like lawn clippings.

Yep, I literally just got a fridge yesterday evening for beer fermentation. I just need one of those temperature controlling boxes....any recommendations? Preferably one without the need for an electrician.

I guess for this beer I'll just dry hop and hope for the best. It couldn't be that bad could it?

thisispants said:
...snip

I guess for this beer I'll just dry hop and hope for the best. It couldn't be that bad could it?
I think it will be fine, it's an IPA which should be hoppy and dry hopping can only help

this is from northern brewer

BRY-97 American West Coast Yeast was selected from the Siebel Institute Culture Collection and is used by a number of commercial breweries to produce different types of ale. It is a classic American ale yeast that offers the convenience and long shelf life of dried yeast along with high quality standards and excellent performance.
Quick, clean, and well-attenuating are the chief properties of this yeast. It is most comparable to the "Chico"-style strains. In our experience, this strain stays clean at relatively high temperatures (up to 78F), and flocculation is marginally better than other "Chico" strains. Due to the slightly higher flocculation tendencies, it does slightly reduce bittering levels in the finished beer.

that's 25.5degrees

+ 1 for the keg king 16amp dual temp controllers, recently got 2 and they run perfect.

thisispants said:
Hi, so despite the fan, cold towels and ice bricks around the fermenter, the wort temperature is still 23-24C. Annoying.

Is there anything I can do to the beer such as adding something that may offset any potential off flavours created due to the high fermentation temperature?

The yeast is Danstar West Coast Ale Yeast.

I'm going to dry hop with Citra hops....if I dry hopped with a greater amount of hops would that potentially mask any off flavours?

The beer is an IPA.
Dear pistinpants

The basic answer to your question is no

If you can beg/borrow/steal a 2nd fridge then do so

Get on to your local facebook buy/swap/sell/free page.

I have seen a few fridges/freezers pop up, fully working just need getting rid of.

Then buy a fridge mate

thisispants said:
Yep, I literally just got a fridge yesterday evening for beer fermentation. I just need one of those temperature controlling boxes....any recommendations? Preferably one without the need for an electrician.

Pays to read the whole thread Ducati.

jeddog said:
Keg king have pre wired temp controllers
Probably the best in the market at the moment. Love mine and would buy another.

<edit - that didn't make any sense at all>

lord give me some 5% beer or less

Latest posts

Back